Cobra 29 ltd classic is missing channels

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Krimbo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Krimbo

Krimbo Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2018
    I did a full alignment by the book and everything worked perfectly on all channels. I put it back together and gave it one last test for my stamp of approval but some of the channels have no carrier or modulation while others are loud and proud. I did most of my alignment on channel 19 and that is one of the channels not working. A few are upper channels and a few are lower channels. I'm just looking for advice on where to start before I start digging into it tomorrow. If I get no help then I'll probably start at ic3.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sounds like the channel selector is worn out or one or two diodes for the channel 9/normal circuit is bad.

Edit, I was looking at another cobra schematic, yes look at ic3 but also tap the signal coming into the mixer to see if it is working there.

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Check to see if you have 10.240 MHz on the PLL chip, I believe it’s pin 12. Pin 10 should be 5.120 MHz. Also check for 4.9 volts or so on pins 1 & 11.
    On IC2 VCO chip you should have 5.120 MHz on pin 4. Pin 8 should show 4.9 volts from the 5 volt regulator.
    On IC3 tx mixer it looks like there should be 10.240 MHz on pin 4 and it should show 2.6 volts too.
    Hopefully this will give you a clue as to what’s wrong. Also, make sure your power supply voltages are okay.

5. Krimbo

Krimbo Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Ok thanks y'all. I'll check tomorrow and post what I figure out.

6. Krimbo

Krimbo Bobtail Member

Mar 4, 2018
    All voltages and frequencies checked out fine. I sprayed contact cleaner in the channel selector and noticed a wiggle. When I wiggled it just right it started transmitting on all channels. I found out that the ribbon wires came loose on the switch end from years of a wiggly channel selector. I'm going to reattach the ribbon and that should work.....I hope. Thanks everyone.

7. Tensleep440

Tensleep440 Light Load Member

Mar 29, 2018
    NE Corner of Texas
    Glad to hear you found the issue

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.