Cobra 29 lx max problem

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Trucker Jon, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I know.

Most think it is the indicator of how well the antenna is working.

I waited for a "why?" but got BS.

The response I got was from someone who doesn't even understand what unbalance feedline means. He says I am a ham for 38 years, he needs to read it again - too funny.

BUT then I guess another poster brought up mark who I am not a fan of as you know, so that shows me even more.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Didnt notice any mark comment..mark will say same about swr vs resistance,resonance and impedences

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I know he would but I am saying something different, oh well ... my **** works ... that's all I care about now.

5. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    @Meteorgray

Ok, here is a video I recorded today talking about 55 miles if I hazard a guess? I try for WW who is near Philadelphia, he is on a beam pointed south. I am on the mile marker 144 exit ramp on I-55. After he spins West I talk to him off the side of my antenna, then my friend Wookie comes in. Wookie is about 50 miles south of me on an IMAX 2000 about 80 feet in the air. I can’t reach him because he squelches me out with all the electronic noise living in town. The radio that breaks for Wookie near the end is a mobile that is about 70 miles from me.

I could have waited another 30 miles, WW was putting me at 7 dB near Winona which would have been around an 80 mile trip. There are so many bases I lose track of who all is there and where they are. DL in Mendenhall has the best ears, I can hear him talking 100+ miles.

Single 6 foot skip shooter on the driver side and a Radioactive General Lee. (Sorry about the quality)

Here is a topographical map so you see what I am up against down here.

Attached Files:

6. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I have talked to the carolinas with a 10k barefoot stryker..I talk to texas with same set up on my 7ft skip shooter..I talked 96 miles apart on the 401 e in ontario..
    Talked to fla on a factory volvo ant but my older 955..20 mi to a base on a cobra and a 10k on a volvo...

Everything is conditions..I can sit in my driveway in novascotia and listen to the boys with BIG power in ga,fla,bamma and so on..
    Anything more than a few miles its hard to tell if its skip or radio..
    Didnt listen to your vid cause vids burn to much data on my cell..

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Good for you. That post was for Meterogray, he was curious as to how mobiles can talk up to 80 miles straight surrounded by trees. I told him I would post a video of me doing it so he could see.

8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Aww..I miss more than i read cause some days im on here a good bit and days im not and i usually miss something..

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Yeah I think you were in such a hurry to discount my set up like you have in other posts. Its ok, I knew you would say there was some explanation like atmospheric conditions, even though I've been doing it since I moved down here in 2006.

Here's what we can do in the future. Let's just assume my radios only talk more than a mile due to skip conditions, and that your "super resonant, resistance measured to thousandths of an ohm, capacitance like no other" Stryker can talk worldwide even through a dummy load. Fair enough?

10. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Nothin super bout my set up..I dont claim to know alot but i know enough to question things...
    Some misunderstant my point and sometimes im dead wrong..
    As for your specific set up im questioning how you know your set up is where it can be when you havent tested anything...Most times im basically sayin that thats its possible that you and others are not letting your set run at full potiential without crutchs of sorts...
    Yes some stuff on here is wrong wrong wrong and some need tweeks but im learning as i go....
    If you see a mistake i made,point it out with materials to back it up..Im more than happy to benifit with better know how...
    Soo no i wasnt dissing your set up at all..If you get those ranges n such your doin something right and maybe i can learn from it..
    I hate when some brag about what range n such the get but dont give all the details...Some hide details that are important when compareing to others in the same boat...Its like you sayin you can go country wide on less radio power than me but not sayin your useing a big amp..Cant compare apples to apples that way..Yes i did see that you have an amp but dont use it alot..

As for some of the other stuff well its from folks who know loads more than i ever will..

Im no where satified with my set up,i know there is room to improve but finding out what and where n how..I dont need an amp to complicate my set but want and need are two different things..
    For me im a "Get it right or why its not right"kinda guy..

Show me where i made mistakes and ill try and fix them..

Never know when im pickin someones brain to see what i can learn be it wrong or right and that might be why i question someones set up.

11. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    So why only sence 06..I also didt say it "was" skip..I said after a few miles we dont know and that includes me in that "we"..I go by all the same radio/ theorys
    as everyone else..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.