Cobra 29 no range no squelch static

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by OldeSkool, Jan 20, 2023.

1. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes that is correct. Leave the radios switch on the S/RF position. Just go by what the external SWR meter shows. If you can't calibrate the external meter, then you need to fix the RF ground issue.

Metalicious Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Well unfortunately a speaker won't fix his problem. He says he hears static from his radio when he opens and shuts the door. So it sounds like his speaker is okay. But your right, when you can't get static/noise out of your radio, the speaker could be the problem.

Numb Thanks this.
  4. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I ended up replacing the mic, the antenna, and finally the coax before it worked good again. It still doesn’t have the range I’d like, but seems to be ok. I got a 1000 watt road pro antenna, the long whip with a spring at the bottom. Since I don’t have a SWR meter, except the built in one on the radio, I set it as best I could.

Now my antenna light stays off when I key up, and on SWR setting the needle doesn’t even move when I key up. Overall I guess I’m happy, but my range is still probably less than a mile. Idk why I can’t seem to ever have good range with a radio.

5. Night Stalker10

Jun 26, 2017
    Thanks for the update. As far as range goes, the problem isn't you. The problem is these newer trucks that are made with fibre glass bodies. For a mobile antenna to perform properly, it needs the metal of the vehicle to be under the antenna. But since they switch to fibre glass truck bodies, that poses a big problem for mobile antennas. Basically the antenna needs a good RF ground which a thing called bonding helps. They recommend using flat straps 3/4 to 1 inch wide and less then 10 inches long. Here is a website to help you.

Bonding

Hopefully you can still pick up a $30-$40 external SWR meter and jumper coax. At least you will have a good idea how your antenna system is.

RockinChair and OldeSkool Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.