Cobra 29classic

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Mticknor84, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Mticknor84

Mticknor84 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Parkesburg, pa
    Hey guys,
    I just bought a cobra 29 Ltd classic. I’m wondering what are the best mods to start with or what mods have you guys done. thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigJim63

BigJim63 Light Load Member

May 1, 2014
    Evansville In.
    Just have an alignment done and leave it alone. Mods only add distortion and over stress the components in the radio and shorten its life.

4. Mticknor84

Mticknor84 Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2019
    Parkesburg, pa
    I
    Thank you sir

5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I agree with BigJim63, find a shop that will do an alignment per manufacture service manual, or use it stock. That radio is designed to have a 4 watt carrier with 16 watt pep at 100% modulation and anything above that will sound less than desireable, at stock settings the radio is probably doing a 3 watt deadkey with 12 watt pep, and with a good antenna system will do just fine, matter of fact the antenna setup is the most important factor you should address. In the past 23 years I have spent ( wasted) my fair share of hard earned dollars on swing kits, built in stingers, rfx75, mosfet final upgrades and all the above only resulted in poor audio and short radio life, live and learn, currently I run a Cobra 29 or BC 980 ( both have modulation adjusted to 100%) and average 5 to 10 miles ( have done 15 miles) , if you desire more power ( watts) than Cobra 29 it would be better to invest in a 10 meter/export radio than attempt to mod the 29.

Dave_in_AZ, Mticknor84 and Meteorgray Thank this.
  6. Meteorgray

Meteorgray Heavy Load Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Skip the mods and just plug an Italy KL 203P amplifier between the biggest and bestest antenna you can stand and the Cobra.

The little amp represents only a 10A load to the 12vdc system, is about the size of a sandwich, and will add 50 or so watts of power to your signal.

It will get you heard for maybe 75 bucks and has a reputation for reliability and fidelity.

And best of all, you don't have to figure out how to fix the foibles created by some screwdriver at a truck stop somewhere.

202 Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    The small amo idea is the best plan if more power is desired but FIRST is coax and its quality,mount/antenna stud and where its mounted and antenna.....The mount placement will also help determine ant type and length..

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  8. Krazzyleggs

Krazzyleggs Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2019
    True,I have a 29 ltd that was slightly tuned before I got it and It has been the best sounding barefoot radio I've had.I have a bearcat980ssb running through a nagoya 150/300 am and ssb. I keep it on am low and tuned the bearcat for my pickup. Got it over 5 watts and it still sounds good on the sandwich.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    99% chance that the best performance will happen right out of the Box. Getting a text book service manual alignment will probably decrease performance and cost you more money for less radio.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  10. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    Good advice. And I have one of those little amps sitting around waiting for the right radio to pair it with.

202 and Meteorgray Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.