Cobra 29LTD Classic questions.

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Lysdexis, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Lysdexis

Lysdexis Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Arkansas
    I've got a 29ltd I've had for a couple years bone stock radio factory mic etc etc.

I put it in my new truck and set it up according to the manual and all was well. Now it seems when I turn squelch down it has a strange sound instead of just static and I'm not sure why. RF gain is set to half and when in CAL mode its setting right in the arrow and SWR shows right about the W in the meter on the radio. Basically the same as it was before the strange noise. The nb/anl switch is in the top position.

Also the red ANT light comes on when I key up. It's done that since I got the radio. Any suggestions?

I'll link a video of the noise once it finishes uploading.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lysdexis

Oct 25, 2018
    Arkansas
    Here's the noise.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    sounds like you're picking up electrical pulse noise...like from the alternator?

that ant light being red, is a mistuned antenna or bad ground.

rabbiporkchop and Lysdexis Thank this.
  5. Lysdexis

Oct 25, 2018
    Arkansas
    There wasn't an inverter in the truck when I got it. There is one now. I'll turn it off and see if it makes a difference.

Its not the factory antenna or coax. Its mounted to a grab handle on the back of the cab between a headache rack with maybe 2 feet above the cab probably 5 feet overall. It's one of those with the coil around it about halfway up and then drops to what looks like a stereo antenna. It was already on the truck when I got it.

6. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i wonder if that is a HAM radio antenna..???

or, it must have been tuned for a higher powered (linear) cb radio set up?

7. Lysdexis

Oct 25, 2018
    Arkansas
    Ok inverter off took care of the noise. How do I get rid of said noise? Better coax?

It's this style antenna. Chimp.jpg

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    that antenna, is for a high tuned, amped up cb radio.....

some will say it can broadcast/receive better than an ordinary cb antenna......even if the cb is not amped up.

you "can try" one of a few radio interference filters and install it inline to the power cord of the cb....some work, some don't.

9. Lysdexis

Oct 25, 2018
    Arkansas
    It also seems that I cant recieve very far. Was talking to a feller the other night and if I got a half mile from him it was really poor quality.

Trucks an 18 579 without the factory CB package so no power hookups or any of that. It was tied into power and ground for some other stuff behind the overhead. I'm guessing likely where the power would have come from originally but wouldn't know

10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    if the last driver had an amped up cb (linear), he would have had it hooked up directly to the battery.

get rid of that antenna, get either a wilson 200 or frances, and a vice gripe mount...done deal...

use the cigarette lighter for your power.

x1Heavy and Lysdexis Thank this.
  11. Lysdexis

Oct 25, 2018
    Arkansas
    Alright. Could the noise be coming from the coax running next to the power and ground going to the inverter and with it being off there's no power moving through those cables? I genuinely don't know is why I ask, not doubting what your saying about the filter in the power to the radio. Just want to fix it the right way instead of throwing stuff at it.

Also I've got an older fire stick at home I may swap these with and mount it up higher.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.