Cobra 29LX

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by mile marker 27, Feb 24, 2020.

1. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    Just picked up a refurbished Cobra 29LX. My CB guy told me that they’re not much different internally than the old 29’s, with exception to the digital face. What are the pros and cons of this radio and how much can this radio be built up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Yes they are basically the same as the 29 Ltd classics, with the exception of the digital display. The pro to me is the scan function. I have a 25lx. I wasn't sure if I would like a scan function on a CB radio, but I have to admit that I do like it.

The cons to me is, the plexiglass face plate scracthes real easy when wiping the dust/ dirt off the screen. It's not so noticeable at night, but you can sure see the scracthes in the daylight. The other thing I don't like about the radio is the tiny volume switch. If you have big fingers, it can be hard to turn. Plus it feels loose after awhile from use. The last thing is the built in swr meter. It's a great idea, but a useless feature because they are very inaccurate. You are better off using an external swr meter. Also the cheap plastic mics that Cobra makes aren't very good. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    202 and mile marker 27 Thank this.
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Re building it up...

What are your expectations?

5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    If the shop knows what they are doing 20-24 watts.

6. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Building a lil radio up to that rateing will take some finess to get it right not just more powerful..
    If anything just leave radio alone and pick up a lil 100 watt amp..Lotsa guys are likeling the the italy amp line..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.