Code eec 61 freigtliner cascadia 2012

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by khan1122, Dec 3, 2015.

1. khan1122

khan1122 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Hi
    Yesterday got change my def filter at speedco, after 12 mile the check engine and the solid engine light came the the code eec61 diag 1 took it bake to speedco
    Where the they check the filter again and found out they put filler upside down
    After that the check engine light gone
    But the solid engine light is still there with the same code
    If any body knows about this please
    Help
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Found this on the net, may help.. This answer was for a 2012 Cascadia w/ a Detroit DD15.

EEC 61 is only part of the fault code. If you hit the square button again,write it down, then hit it again, then write that down. it should follow up with some more additional information that could help.
    EEC 61 is basically saying there is a problem in the After-treatment control module. This is the module the Engine uses for the after treatment system. Your Check Engine Light, and/or your Maintenance light will be on at the same time.

The maintenance light is the light that looks like a solid yellow engine.

Make sure your DEF tank is 1/2 to FULL, you have a indicator on your fuel guage with 4 green squares, this is your DEF level.

If your DEF got low, it will throw a EEC61, but you need to fill the DEF tank 1/2 full or more. After you drive awhile, after 3 key cycles that light should go off. IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

If you do not fill it up, the Engine will Derate to 25%, then if you continue to drive, it will derate you to 5 miles per hour.

This is just a little bit of info, if I had some more info, I could narrow it down before you take it to the dealer, especially if it is just low of DEF.

If the truck was low on Air pressure when you turned the truck off, the DEF system performs a purge routine to clear the lines, if it does not detect air pressure, it will set this also.

johnwayne187 and mopei Thank this.
  4. khan1122

Jun 10, 2015
    Thanks
    i fill the def tank and every thing is gone
    Thank you

Dryver Thanks this.
  5. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Did the engine light clear on its own or did you hold plus button to clear? I had this EEC61 then DEF dosing unit 07 along with that. I had half full DEF tank. I filled tank completely but still have an active code that I can not clear. Drove about 350 miles after I added DEF. Please Advise.

6. khan1122

Jun 10, 2015

7. khan1122

Jun 10, 2015
    After the guy change def fillter which was upside done
    The engine light goes by it self

8. khan1122

Jun 10, 2015
    Let me know the code I may be able to help you with that
    I had that problem so many times

9. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    EEC061 SPN003361 DEF DOSING UNIT 07

10. khan1122

Jun 10, 2015
    Found this on Internet
    will help you out.

This diagnostic code is typically Regulatory Fault Ignored - Derate On.

Note: (EPA10 ONLY) If SPN 5246/FMI 0, 15 or 16 are the only fault(s) present, follow troubleshooting procedure for SPN 3361/FMI 7 (DEF Unit - Unable to clear Restriction).

The 3361/FMI 7 code, is more then likely your metering unit is stopped up and needs flushed. This is pretty common issue.

There is also a bulletin that came out for installing a air dryer cool loop that helps prevent this from happening. You more then likely can get this installed under warranty. I am going to look for bulletin and attach if for you also

Ryanharrisva Thanks this.
  11. khan1122

Jun 10, 2015
    Is the code is still there 1 time I had the same problem took it to frieghtliner told me they will be able to get me in after 4 days
    They told me if I drive like that my engine will derat to 5 mph
    I had produce laod I decided not wait so what I did was to off the bettery cut of switche for 15 mints it restart the ecm drove for 500 mile same codes again did the same thing over and over till I delivered the load and was able to get back to home I drove like 4500 miles
    When I get home I show my truck to a local macanic he Changed the def metring volve part cost 179$ and labor was 150
    After that I didn't get any codes

1fixitman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.