Coil tarps/bags

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by SHC, Mar 3, 2012.

1. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    So I am looking to get some tarps for hauling coils. What size do you all suggest? Are coil bags better?? Most of the cools I've seen are around 46-50k (I believe single coil) so would it make more sense to get a single nice tarp??

2. boxcarmonument

boxcarmonument Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Canton Ohio
    I had a coil bag for awhile. Wasn't a fan of it, not all coils are big enough to fill it out and it would balloon up. I preferred a 16x16 for hauling a single coil. And in the end a coil Tarp is kind of a one trick pony. And not every load is a coil. While a 16x16 can cover many things. I believe my money is better spent on the square Tarp.

3. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Well I already have 2 other tarps, I was just looming to carry one specifically for coils. So u are saying a 16x16 covers a coil pretty well?? I can get a std coil bag for $135, I'll have to look into a 16x16

4. boxcarmonument

boxcarmonument Light Load Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Canton Ohio
    I have never had a problem covering a steel coil with a 16x16. An aluminum is a different story as they can be pretty tall.

If you do go 16x16 get the D rings on square. Asunder 2' and 4' all the way around which will make it a very functional tarp.

SHC Thanks this.
  5. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I have 1 coil tarp & 1 16 by 16 & 2 16 by 24. 16's are nice if you have 2 small coils loaded together in the center, the tarp will cover both. coil tarps are quick when working a a single coil. I have 3 movers blankets I use to cover coils that have sharp edges on them to protect my tarps.

SHC Thanks this.
  6. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I think I may just get a coil bag AND a 16x16 with stainless d-rings all the way around. Then I can use the 16x16 for oddball stuff as well. Thanks for the input guys.

7. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    When i ran coils i used coil tarps and they where the best thing i ever purchased. They tarped a coil up to 48k, 6ft high by 6ft wide no pronlem.

8. spacetrucker88

spacetrucker88 Heavy Load Member

I have hauled coils for many years and In my opinion a sidekit is the only way to go

9. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    Side kit is great if steels all your going to haul. If would if steel was all i hauled..

SHC and FREEBRD Thank this.
  10. SHC

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Same thing here, I plan on running more than steel, like the load I have right now would not work with a side kit. Plus you cannot put a side kit on the type of trailer I have now. But one day I may get one because it would be very handy around my home area.

• Draft saved Draft deleted