Coils Question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by hawkjr, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SGTSmokdU

SGTSmokdU Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Sure was a busy day today....

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from your iPhone via my Galaxy Nexus!

luddybuddy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carrkool

carrkool Heavy Load Member

May 10, 2012
    adah, pa
    Yes the rub rail and mine rit is rated at 6600 lbs

4. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    This is the manner I was told to chain these small coils on my first load with them. I do not see any issues with the coils telescoping. It has seemed to be very stable each time

. IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

5. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Whats the weight of the coils

6. dirtyrabbit

dirtyrabbit Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    KS
    15K-16K per and three coils totaling 46K for the load.

7. Richard G

Richard G Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2008
    chicago
    There seems to be some confusion about direct and indirect securement. According to the FMCSA,

Minimum Working Load Limit for Cargo Securement Devices and Systems
    The aggregate working load limit of any securement system used to secure an article or group of articles against movement must be at least one-half the weight of the article or group of articles. The aggregate working load limit is the sum of:one-half the working load limit of each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle to an attachment point on an article of cargo (from a tie down point on the trailer to a tie down point on the cargo, making this a DIRECT securement);

and The working load limit for each tiedown that goes from an anchor point on the vehicle, through, over or around the cargo and then attaches to another anchor point on the vehicle ( making this an INDIRECT securement).

Therefore a horseshoe securement on a shotgun coil is considered an INDIRECT securement, using the full WLL on the tie down, not half. It is irrelevent on which side the tie downs are.

Just saying,

8. ramblingman

ramblingman Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Can't tell if serious or just trolling...

9. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    If he was talking about a shotgun coil that would be a good plan (from the info we have.

10. MichianaFlat

MichianaFlat Bobtail Member

Dec 26, 2014
    Northern IN
    I haul coils every day and prefer suicide with three 3/8 chains in the eye and two over the top. I had a coil loaded shotgun and a 4 wheeler came at me head-on two lane US 6, I locked it up and that coil broke 8 j-hooks and slid forward on the bunks 2' until it over centered and dug into the deck. I had 1 x pair and one U pair and 2 over the top.

11. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    let me guess,That car just kept going......Was there a claim on the material? What about new j hooks and a new aluminum floor and x members for that section

I run alotta that us 6 im always waiting for these morons to cross over, And I aint just talkin about the cars either

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.