Cold Chain Temperature/Humidity Loggers

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Satori, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Satori

Satori Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Hey everyone, I'm just curious as to what type of temperature/Humidity loggers you all use to monitor your freight during the cold chain? Also what are your thoughts on temperature/humidity loggers, are they useful and worth investing in?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    There are a few different kinds. I don't use any of them. This is how I work.
    For loads that must not freeze. The shipper often will provide a device where if it freezes the liquid inside turns color, usually blue. On the receiving end they will know that the product was allowed to freeze.

Frozen loads, shipper does not usually provide a recorder. Just keep it below 0, usually set point is -10. It will be obvious if you thawed the load.

Produce loads, shipper usually provides a device that logs the box temperature every x minutes and is displayed either on a graph or as numeric values where it will show maximum and minimum temperatures and the time at which the box was at that temp. Produce loads are more sensitive to temperature variations, lots of which need to be kept at 33-34 degrees and even a variance of a few degrees can damage the product. When picking up produce loads you should be inspecting the product they intend to load, pulp it to check temperature multiple pallets, look at it, is it high quality? Would you buy it in the store? If the temperature is too far off DO NOT LOAD IT your reefer will NOT cool it to required temperature. This is why produce haulers often load late at night if they are waiting for the product to get down to temp in the cooler.

The reefer unit itself keeps a log that can be downloaded in the event of a discrepancy. Using your due diligence you should be able to avoid most claims. There are always some shady characters that will try any reason to reject a truck, when the real reason is totally their fault - they ordered too much or don't have room for the product is a common one. You will learn what places can be problematic and which ones are smooth.

Humidity is not typically recorded - I have never seen it.

Satori Thanks this.
  4. Satori

Satori Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks for the reply, lots of good info! I'm curious as to why many loggers I found online can also record humidity if it is typically not used. Any other thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Unless you have an ancient reefer, you already have it in the data logger.

6. Satori

Satori Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Thanks for the reply! What type of data logger do you currently use that has it built in?

7. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    The reefer units have had data loggers for years. No need to buy anything extra.

Satori Thanks this.
  8. Satori

Satori Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Thank you for replying and for the great info. Any other thoughts or input on the topic?

9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Customer had logging device travelling with load to see if equipment was up to maintaining 75 degrees fahrenheit. Not sure what model device. This was first time I had ever seen freight that had to be kept that warm,,,thought maybe I was hauling 'uman beans:)

STexan Thanks this.
  10. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Most loads are sealed and the shipper uses the devices in the trailer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.