cold idle temp

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by damutt, Nov 5, 2013.

1. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    wow it has to get to 15????? #### so it has to be 15 or colder for it to idle and keep heat running in cab/sleeper and to keep einge frome freezing?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DrivingForceBehindYou

DrivingForceBehindYou Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    ChicagolandOfOpportunity
    ND is almost an extraterrestrial phenomenon. I would idle there non stop just because I wouldn't take a chance. I would also check out your battery something's going on if it keeps shutting off at 20 degrees

4. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    batteries stay at 14 when running

5. DrivingForceBehindYou

Aug 29, 2012
    ChicagolandOfOpportunity
    every truck is different. I drove a frightliner that would start in any temperature. it looks like others are more sensitive. most problems I have from gelled fuel filters. even additives do not always help

6. DrivingForceBehindYou

Aug 29, 2012
    ChicagolandOfOpportunity
    a good one. you see the idea of having batteries is to conserve enough starting power after 10 and 12 hours maybe a day or two after you shut down not when you're running

7. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    it will start that cold. it just refuses to idle. if its 75 or hoter it will idle all day long, just not at at 20. dont know about colder, hasnt gotten below that yet

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Companies can control the idle setup through the trucks computer. There are a few different setups. One set up allows the driver to turn the cruise on and bump the idle up with the set/resume switch.
    Some companies set the idle by temperature. The unlucky drivers get a timed idled.

The bunk heater should keep you warm in 20 degrees unless something is wrong with it. When you get down below freezing you do want to idle if you can to keep the block and oil warm or it will be hard to start.

Trucks have big radiators and are hard to stay warm at idle. Put you a big piece of cardboard in front of the radiator when idling below freezing and it'll raise the engine temp. You'll see a few trucks running with them canvas covers over the grill. Those do the same thing, restrict cold air through the radiator so the engine can get up to operating temperature.

If you work for one of these bummer companies that treat you like a dog then invest in a good subzero sleeping bag and a comforter or two. It's not in a companies best interest to not idle in freezing temps as breakdown will have to jump trucks off. Make sure you treat that fuel in extreme cold weather to keep it from gelling.

9. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    yes i do work for one of those comopanies, tired the curese and bump it, dont work, tired idel at 900 RPM still shuts off. goig to buy an electic blanket

10. bigdog4981

bigdog4981 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Damutt, did you see my post, I wasn't joking about raising the temp

baha Thanks this.
  11. paul 1052

paul 1052 Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sand Springs, Ok.
    Get a heated mattress pad not a blanket, the heat will come from under you and your bedding will trap most of it, I've slept with one down to about 30 no prob.

Seriously if you're truck won't idle in the 20s I'd be raising hell with the company to get that changed or find another job...that is total bs.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.