cold idle temp

Discussion in 'Western Express' started by damutt, Nov 5, 2013.

1. DrivingForceBehindYou

DrivingForceBehindYou Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    ChicagolandOfOpportunity
    It was at a turnpike rest area. Antiidle laws signs are posted everywhere but nobody enforces them. If I was a cop I would just roll thru when its 60 outside, mark those who idle, return 5 min later and write a whole bunch of tickets.
    It was the only time I did this because his air cycled every 30 sec and I really needed some sleep. My reasoning is if someone can afford to throw away a few thousands to waste fuel every year they can afford to pay a few bucks for the first offense. And if it makes the driver be considerate of other drivers it is priceless

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigdog4981

bigdog4981 Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2013
    So what of it were in Dallas in august at 3pm and said drivers air dryer is going off, and he had to leave at midnight. 117 degrees and 160 inside of his black condo, would you still call the police, since there is now an anti idle law in Dallas County?

4. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    cna you tell me were this sensor is on a 2010 shaker? dd15?

5. bigdog4981

Oct 6, 2013
    Front bumper, follow the wiring harness, when I get to yard this weekend, I'll get an image for you of exact location

6. VegasBiker

VegasBiker Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Vegas Baby!
    As a mechanic I have remind you that heating up the temp sensor will work, until the sensor cools back down. These newer trucks ECMs take real time readings, so as long as the sensor is above the 78 to 80 degree threshold your good to idle your heart out. The factory settings for low temp idle are usually set at around 45 because a 15 degree drop from wind chill does not take that much wind. BTW don't melt the darned sensor, you really do not want to buy it at what good ol' Freightshaker charges, and then add in the labor cost at the yard when the wrench turner realizes that it suffered death by Zippo...

What I would do is have the shop take a look at it. If the company has a good tech dept. adjusting it the computer takes around 5 minutes... Just sayin' better to try the right way up front then buy parts and get chewed out. Now if they say tough luck then take things into your own hands.

7. bigdog4981

Oct 6, 2013
    On a 2012 Pete your very wrong. Once it starts over 70, it will run all night regardless of how cold it drops. Want a video?

8. VegasBiker

Nov 4, 2013
    Vegas Baby!
    Yeah, each maker sets it own baseline temps. Now these can be modified by the carrier/owner by going into the trucks ECM/BCM systems with the right diagnostic systems. My main point was to direct the OP to try and get it fixed right instead of having to do an end run and trick the truck into thinking the temp was in idle range, and possibly doing damage that could wipe out a whole paycheck if not get them canned.
    Better to try and get it done right then lose cash or employment by messing with half arsed tricks...
    Also don't use a lighter, instead get some of those glove warmer chemical heat packs. Squeeze the pack to get it activated and then rubber band or duct tape in place and get some rest...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    My guess it is already fixed.

When I bought mine it was only neutered in speed which I got changed on it. The ecm restricting the idle has to be input by the company.

10. damutt

damutt Road Train Member

May 6, 2013
    good infor guys, sorry i just got back online, if i find this sensor, and just unplug it wont the truck defualt to some -30 reading?

11. VegasBiker

Nov 4, 2013
    Vegas Baby!
    It may, it will also throw a code for lost communication with the sensor that will log on the ecm. Also it may have an effect on the fueling of the engine witch takes into account ambient temps and adjusts the amount of fuel given across the rpm range for optimum power depending on conditions...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.