Cold weather gear ???

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by shawnhhllc, Jul 11, 2020.

1. shawnhhllc

shawnhhllc Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2020
    florida
    I hardly ever wear extreme cold weather gear because I’ve never needed it. So my question is what’s everyone wear for sub-zero weather as far as gloves and balaclavas ? I should probably get two pairs of gloves for open deck because one will most likely be wet. I’m thinking a good pair of insulated leather gloves for what we do. And something for my ears and face.

I’m good on pants and tops. yes I know it’s July but it’ll be here before you know it and I might catch a sale

Thanks

FerrissWheel and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Carhartt coat.
    Hoodie
    Insulated gloves.

If your face starts to freeze, put a tee shirt around it.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    More pairs of gloves than u think. Can never have to much. I buy an oversized pair and then put winter gloves underneath. Keeps warm. Get a balclava and it protects ur face nose and neck from the wind and a beanie.. Dont forget wool socks.. Go for a couple layers rather than just a big jacket . That way u still have room to move when throwing tie downs or tarps.

5. shawnhhllc

Feb 9, 2020
    florida
    I’ve done my fair share of hunting elk in the Rockies. I have plenty of clothes and knowledge of layering appropriately. My concern is the dexterity of gloves. I don’t want to waste 50 dollars on a pair of name brand to find out in a week they aren’t worth the money.

I found a few at Duluth that we’re 1/2 off so i might get two pair of them. And then there’s some other cheaper brands we wear on the family farm in Nebraska. Might roll with those as well. Thanks fellas.

FerrissWheel and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yeah i had the same problem. The thcik gloves u cant barely move ur fingers. Thats why i buy a pair of regular mechanix gloves one size bigger then normal and just put my soft winter warm gloves underneath. Has worked for me. Able to keep my hands warm, even while throwing tire chains. And still have enoung dexterity to pick up a chain or wrench off the ground

FerrissWheel, Tug Toy and shawnhhllc Thank this.
  7. shawnhhllc

Feb 9, 2020
    florida
    @ D. Tibbett Sounds like a plan.

FerrissWheel, Tug Toy and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I always load my truck up with cloths for the winter but never use anymore than my stocking cap and a face mask. Maybe my car hart coat if I’m not working just walking into the truck stop or something.

9. LDLWells

LDLWells Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2019
    I've only worked consistently in -40 so I might not have much experience but get a pair of these for the wet work: Ansell Winter Monkey Grip 23-173 Raised Finish PVC Coated Glove, Size 10 (XL), 1 pr https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01770II9U/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_vPMcFbGPFS5H7

Lay them on the defrost for a few hours to get them soft. I have to use them wet or dry but once you get used to them you can do anything with them on.

My favorite jacket is actually a Carhartt extreme wear if it's below -20. Otherwise I wear a Carhartt jacket designed for wearing a body harness. I forget the name but it has the a flap for the D ring. And I use an a Carhartt extreme wear bib.

These are all non FR clothes because there's no sense in dropping $300 for a bulwark parka if you don't need it. But also be warned I'm like a polar bear outside. I wear non insulated leather boots with steel toes in these ND winters

10. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Good and cheap don’t go together in this instance.

Jacket: Carhartt shoreline on amazon lasts me years and a zip up fleece underneath. Also the Milwaukee tool company “no days off” hoodie is awesome too since it’s wind proof by itself or under layer.

Baklava or headwear, and gloves I highly recommend kuiu but it’s more hunting apparel but it’s top notch.

D.Tibbitt and FerrissWheel Thank this.
  11. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    I don't work in the truly "manly winter" states, but have trucked in and around the Northeast my whole career so here goes,
    Long sleeve t-shirt
    regular t-shirt over that
    hooded sweatshirt over that
    Lined flannel jacket
    REAL jeans (long underwear underneath optional)
    dress socks under sweat socks
    good name brand insulated WATERPROOF work boots (your feet get wet, your done)
    at least a dozen pairs of regular work gloves. Always keep a couple of pairs under the heater on the passenger side so you can switch them out when they get wet. They don't have to be super expensive. These have done real well for me and aren't expensive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WPXKRDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    knee pads (handy if you have to get on your hands and knees trying to roll up "plywood" (tarps!) on wet ground or if you have to check on the underside of your vehicle.

That's my deal and it seems to work for me. Layers are your friend! I do have a 25 year old LL Bean Pnobscot Parka that is warm as hell and waterproof, but it's getting a little long in the tooth (like the owner!) The best solution would be to stay home in the winter and at 64 years old that looks better every year!

JD

cke, FerrissWheel, shawnhhllc and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.