Colorado Med Card

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Rybak, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Rybak

Rybak Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Hello all,

Recently, my Med card expired(my fault wasn’t paying attention to the date) and have a quick question.

I realize I can no longer operate a CMV without an up to date certificate. But how long do I have in the state of Colorado to renew it before they downgrade my license? I’m currently on vacation and will not be able to recertify until next week. So far it has been 12 days since it expired. I’m getting mixed information between sites. Can’t find much on CDOT site for whatever reason.

Thanks a bunch!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    The person behind the desk at DMV said I have a year to recertify and the license was automatically downgraded . After I get my 2 yr med card back I find the real answer.

4. Rybak

Rybak Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    So after a year your CDL is no longer valid and will have to take the test all over again, correct? So I should be fine as long as I take care of it before then.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Self-certify that you are using your CDL in one of the 2 or 3 areas of exemption and do not need a medical card. My state has 4 categories. One category is interstate CMV operation requiring a DOT exam/card. That's what most of us think of as OTR CDL. At least 2 other options require no DOT medical exam/card. Just Google your state and self-certify CDL medical exam.

This usually comes up AFTER a driver stops using his CDL and then his medical card expires. Some drivers think they need to constantly have a valid medical card or their CDL is downgraded and/or they would need to re-test to reinstate the CDL privileges. If you self-certify in one of the exempt categories, AND NEVER DRIVE WHEN A CDL WOULD BE REQUIRED, your CDL isn't revoked or suspended.

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Yeah most states your CDL is in-valid until you renew your physical, but after one yr, it will be downgraded.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.