Comcar - CT Transportation Info From New Driver

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by snows, Nov 13, 2014.

1. ynkedad

ynkedad Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    FL
    Hey snows,

Been awhile, you must be busy...
    Here's a few more ?? for ya.

1) Are your miles with or without working weekends? If they include some weekends, how many did you work to get the 2000 miles?

2)Did Ct got to straight .40cpm and do away with the .31 cpm and the extra pay (IE, availability, tarp etc..)?

As always, thank you for your time!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ynkedad

ynkedad Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    FL
    Oh btw, a recruiter came to the School the other day and afterwards, a student who pulled her aside and asked her more questions advised me that CT did went straight to .40cpm.???

4. snows

snows Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Here are the numbers for the last 6 weeks. The first week begins the Monday after New Years week and goes through Thursday, so it's naturally a short week. The remainder of the weeks go from Friday to Thursday. The first number is the total (hub) miles driven, the second number is the number of paid miles, and the third number is the logged "On Duty" hours for the week. Keep in mind that On Duty hours doesn't include all the waiting at the shipper and consignee.

2015, 1717, 46
    1854, 1580, 47
    2301, 2170, 54
    2825, 2509, 54
    2376, 2118, 50
    2482, 2383, 50

I haven't worked through a weekend yet. With the exception of one weekend, I always get home Friday evening, and I've left out on Sundays every week except for two.

There are two pay scales; one pays $0.31 cpm with tarp/untarp and availability pay. The other one pays $0.40 cpm with no tarp/untarp pay.

ynkedad Thanks this.
  5. ynkedad

ynkedad Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    FL
    Once again thank you.
    Be safe..

6. tpalmer08

tpalmer08 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    what up chris. i'm about to put my review on here today. i been meaning to do it but been busy. hope you found what you needed

7. tpalmer08

tpalmer08 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey everyone, i just finished my first week of training. I wanted to give my review so far.

I started with my 10 days in savannah, ga. 3 days in class room and 6 days on the yard the last day is just you getting your paycheck and going over final things like what comes next and travel back home.

the 3 class room days were pretty boring, but you do learn some good stuff. also on the very first day, you will do a physical fitness test. I don't remember if this was mentioned earlier. now it's really not too difficult, but please know if you don't complete it to ct's satisfaction, you will be sent home that day. it consists of lifting a bucket of weights up onto a desk and putting it back down 3 times. the weight increases after 3 lifts. i think the max is about 120 lbs. take your time and don't ware yourself out on the lighter weight. also, you'll have to get up on the the bed of the trailer 3 times. Finally, you will carry a bucket of weight about 15 feet. They put a heart rate monitor on you while you do this to keep track of everything. Also if you have high blood pressure, you will get sent home.

Again, it's not hard and i don't want to scare people off but i just want people to know what they are getting into....Also, if you're a bigger person they may bring up sleep apnea. just make sure you don't say or write anything down that will give them the impression that you made have it or again, you'll be sent home. you'll have to complete a sleep apnea test before you can return.

Ok, so next is the 6 days on the yard. this is pretty much a bunch of backing courses with a serpentine course as well. You will do an ally dock, a 45 degree back, 2 different types of offset backs(both right to left and left to right) and of course a straight back. Again, not to scare anyone but they will pretty much be grading you from day 1 when you get out there. you need to be at a certain point by the end of day 3 or you will get a talking to the morning of day 4. you will need to be at an acceptable place by noon on day 4 or there is a good chance you will not get the job at the end. don't worry even if you don't get the job, you will still get the $1000 check.

so, i don't know everyone's history but i know at my school, we didn't really learn most of the backing that will go on during the 6 days so it was a little difficult for me. i was actually on the fence after day 3 and got that talk on day 4. but after that talk, i stepped up my game and was on point the rest of the way.

Another thing is that most schools teach in empty dry van trailers, the flat beds on the yard will be loaded and also have a spread rear axle. these spread axles do not move like the dry vans. for example in the dry van, you can pretty much jack knife the truck then cut the wheel all the way left and spin it around and back it in to a spot. this will not work in a spread axle....it takes some getting used to but you can pick it up fast. if you're not familiar with spread axles i suggest hitting youtube just to see them in backing action so you have some type of idea.

That's pretty much it for the 10 days. also, hopefully you like dominoes because you will definitely be eating it about 6 out of the 9 days they feed you lol.

That's all for now. i'm starting my 2nd week of training tomorrow. the first week was ok, i drove about 2200 miles, went to florida, georgia, SC, NC and VA.

Ooops and ynkedad Thank this.
  8. ynkedad

ynkedad Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    FL
    Hey tpalmer,

How many people in your orientation?
    How many people to a truck while maneuvering (backing etc..)?

Thank you.

9. tpalmer08

tpalmer08 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey what's up,

We started day one with 13. Only 9 made it to the backing portion.
    For us, there was 3 people to a truck. But from what I seen, the
    Classes are getting larger so there maybe more to a truck going forward.
    7 of the 9 made it to actually over the road training, which is 3 weeks.
    Like every other portion, you are graded everyday. Once the trainer says
    You are good, you then have a final driving test before you get your own truck.

ynkedad Thanks this.
  10. ynkedad

ynkedad Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    FL
    Thank you, and I appreciate the quick reply!!

11. tpalmer08

tpalmer08 Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    no problem... I'm riding shotgun today because we got screwed and only got Saturday off. I got home Friday and we left out Sunday at 4am

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.