Comdata Card Question (and others)

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Coriolanus, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Coriolanus

Coriolanus Bobtail Member

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Afternoon folks. I was wondering if you could help me understand a few things.

First, for those of you who are with Prime (or have been in the past), how exactly does this Comdata card work? I know you can withdraw money at ATMs. But can you swipe it at shops? What about online retailers since it has an expiration date and a CVV number on the back? The information sheet they provided isn't super clear.

Also, (and I know this isn't a financial forum) I am bout to sign up for Prime benefits, but I'm interested in hearing you guys' opinion on the 'permanent/universal life insurance' benefit. I've been doing some research and it seems to be pretty well frowned upon by everyone, financial experts and laypersons alike. But 75K benefit for $14 per month seems reasonable to me. I'm not really looking at it as an investment, only as a benefit that can be passed on in case something happens. Any thoughts?

I'm also thinking about skipping the short term disability, but maybe that might be good to have. But it seemed expensive for the benefit amount. What say you?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I can't speak to the other stuff but for the STD I would say to at least consider the STD depending on the cost/payout and your financial situation.

I took it my company, $25.15 a week for 60% of pay if something should happen.

August 31st a relative took a header down a staircase and I was the landing pad. Broke right leg in 4 places plus a plateau fracture. Been off ever since and will be until at least the 1st of next month, but money is still coming in every week. No, it isn't the same as if I was working but it's paying the bills and keeping me in Netflix, food and the occasional 3am idiot purchase on Amazon.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't work for Prime, Comdata cards are used by many trucking companies. Comdata is a big company that lots of trucking companies use. They usually give drivers 2 Comdata cards. They look like credit cards but only work with Comdata. One card is for buying fuel at the truck stops. The trucking company has a fuel account with Comdata and it charges the fuel to their account. The big trucking companies also get fuel discounts from some truck stop because they buy so much fuel. It all is run thru Comdata along with your truck number and how much fuel you buy. They use this information to keep track of your MPG. Plus they have pay taxes on the fuel and stuff.

The other card they give driver is your payroll card. They put your weekly pay on that card. You usually setup direct deposit into your checking account. You could get money from ATM but their usually is a fee

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Comdata also has Comchecks. These look like paper checks and trucking companies can pay for stuff with them so the driver doesn't have pay cash. Some places trucking companies have pay someone to unload trailers. They may charge $200 and you have pay them with a Comcheck vs driver paying cash. The trucking company can give the driver a code to write on the Comcheck. It just like writing a paper check to anyone the trucking company needs to pay of they don't already has a account setup.

6. Coriolanus

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Yes, I think it's probably best to take any accident/disability available. You never know when you'll need it.

Thanks for the info. I haven't received the fuel card yet, only the pay card. I don't know what I'm worried about. I haven't even gotten my first paycheck yet.

7. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Just have your paycheck Direct Deposited to YOUR OWN PERSONAL CHECKING ACCOUNT!! If you do not have one, ( I don't know why you wouldn't)...OPEN ONE at your local credit union. All or most of them have free checking with a debit card. Comdata will charge you fees when you use it.

8. Coriolanus

Aug 23, 2021
    Mordor, USA
    Yeah, they wouldn't let me just give them my bank account information. They wanted an actual check. I have never had checks, so I will just set up direct deposit once I have access to their employee portal. I just don't know how to do it yet.

9. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    We use Comdata at Swift.
    It is a single card for both fueling and payroll (If you have your pay deposited to it. My direct deposit goes to my personal bank account.)
    If I need a company or personal advance to buy something the money is loaded onto the Comdata card.
    The card can be used just like any debit card at any store or ATM.

10. volcanoobendigas

volcanoobendigas Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2022
    Thanks so much for your response really helped, And also i would like to know if there are Any other like Comdata and comcheck using which generate Express code

11. volcanoobendigas

volcanoobendigas Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2022
    There any other like Comdata that probably generate Express code

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.