Comet Transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by amiller, Aug 12, 2013.

1. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I remember pulling that link up when the opportunity was first presented to me and it was a little discouraging but I'm just seizing this opportunity for the moment. Especially given the fact that I only have 4 months of combination vehicle experience but I'm making more money than most with my experience. Trust me I know that I cannot stay OTR for too long because I miss my family dearly so when another opportunity of equal or greater value presents itself.....let's just say I'll start another thread lmao!!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I didn't get to deliver the Springfield, IN-Aurora,CO load in time for it to be processed on last week's check so the miles for the last two weeks are as followed:

September 30-October 7(1921 total miles)
    585 miles Gleason,TN-Milledgeville,GA
    792 miles Gordon, GA-Michigan Center, MI
    544 miles Toledo, OH-Nashville, TN

October 7-October 14(3428 total miles)
    1149 miles Springfield,TN-Aurora,CO
    533 miles Denver, CO-Lubbock, TX
    1182 miles Denver City, TX-Vincennes, IN
    564 miles Elizabethtown, KY-Belvidere, IL

I'm trying to push myself to stay out for 2 more weeks as I'm scheduled for hometime October 30-November 4. I'm ready to see my daughters and my girlfriend as well as get some much needed time away from trucking. My daughters are ready to spend time with the family especially on Halloween going out to get candies and treats. I'm really missing a lot with my oldest daughter starting kindergarten this year and it seems like I'm missing so much. Daily I get updates from my family but obviously it's not the same as me being there in person. The sacrifice is really hitting me now that the holidays are approaching but I'm sure that at 6 months-1 year experience I will be able to land a regional or local gig which would make everything much better!!!

Dark_Majesty_06 Thanks this.
  4. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Seems like every week I am getting trailer tires replaced. I informed the company that I thought that the trailer alignment was off but I'm guessing that "I'm just the driver". Still even with having to get tires I still had a decent week.

October 14-October 21(2622 total miles)
    459 miles Minooka, IL-Omaha, NE
    616 miles Crete, NE-Oconomowoc, WI
    *1087 miles Oconto Falls, WI-Turkey, NC*
    *460 miles Riegelwood, NC-Alpharetta, GA*

*These two loads did get my by the house. On 10/19 I spent the day replacing my girlfriend's cv axles and then rested up before finishing the load to GA. On 10/21 I spent all day resting and spending time with my family before leaving early the next morning to finish a load going to VA (which will be on my next updated post).

The last few places that I have been to have been tough to back in to as they have required blind side backing which is especially tough at night. Any helpful advice on that would be especially helpful and lastly I notice that I am also struggling when heavy maintaining a safe speed on downgrades. So I am still out here learning on a daily and just trying to get better each day especially as the colder weather rapidly approaches. Oh and I'm on my countdown to hometime next week!!! Hopefully I get home Wednesday and take 5 days which I am PASSED due for.

5. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I will post my miles from next week later but I need to vent......

Yesterday morning around 1am I got pulled over in Illinois by a state trooper due to my left side headlight flickering. I passed a level 3 inspection and got by with just a warning. The problem is that weeks ago when I was at the terminal this issue was supposedly fixed but here I am weeks later with the same issue. Equipment issues with my first two companies have been problematic.

So fast forward to about 8pm last night as I'm driving on i70 in Indiana, I hear a loud boom and see smoke. I immediately assumed that it was yet another blown trailer tire. I get safely pulled over onto the shoulder to check out the situation. I check all of my tires and to my surprise that was not the issue. Now I get back in the truck perplexed but I decided to move the truck to see if it rides any different. It does not ride different but it sounds like I have an exhaust leak. I stop to get out and check and my muffler tip is gone. SMH

Right now I'm at the TA in West Virginia for a late dinner. I'm on a load going to Maryland and I'm pissed because I was supposed to start my home time today but I don't see that happening.

6. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    If you think you can stand having a camera pointed at you at all times, but driving new, very well kept up equipment, being home every week, and making good money, try Cargo Transporters out of Claremont NC.

amiller Thanks this.
  7. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I knew that this was going to happen....I asked specifically for my hometime 8 weeks ago so that I could be home today through Sunday but obviously no one cares. I didn't even say anything to anyone and I think that they know that I am beyond pissed because they have been very tactful in how they speak to me. Anyway I'm here in Carlisle, PA at the Pepsi DC picking up for delivery in Garner, NC tomorrow morning at 6am. The only way that this will be ok is if I can deliver tonight but even then that is me putting in the extra effort to get the hometime that I deserve. I'm going to post my numbers for this week and last week....

October 21-October 28(2556 total miles)
    770 miles (Birmingham, AL-MT Crawford, VA)
    415 miles (Harrisonburg, VA-Bridgeport, CT)
    628 miles (Newburgh, NY-Columbus, OH)
    743 miles (Jackson, OH-Ava, MO)

October 28-November 4(1604 total miles)
    1171 miles (Joplin, MO-Frederick, MD)
    433 miles (Carlisle, PA-Garner, NC)

8. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    August 12, 2013:
    October 30, 2013:
    LOL! There you go boy's and girl's---not even 90 days yet. This is the "norm" in this industry. Big, medium, small....these companies will screw you before you even become eligible for their crappy benefits.

amiller Thanks this.
  9. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Nothing has changed. I still believe that this is a great opportunity specifically money wise. But I do agree that this industry is very disrespectful to its drivers. And lastly I still prefer to be here rather than at Carolina cargo. Thanks for your thoughts

10. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    halloween.jpg Hometime is almost over but this was very much needed as I am finally feeling refreshed and ready to hit the road again. Since I didn't get home until last Thursday morning, my hometime will conclude tomorrow morning. When I got in Thursday morning I ate, showered, and then I was knocked out. Later that evening my girlfriend and I took our daughters out for Halloween and they really enjoyed that.

The rest of my hometime was just basic errands that you cannot do while out on the road. Specifically I had to get new contacts as I was on my last pair for the past month and a half. Anyone that is a customer of America's Best, please stay away from the one in the Northlake shopping center. They have messed up my prescription twice within 6 months and their customer service is horrible.

So back to reality.....I know that I'm going to have to get by the terminal asap. My tractor drives need brakes badly, my muffler tip is gone likely needs to be replaced or "repaired", left headlight is flickering again, and I need to switch trailers. One last night of good rest in my bed and tomorrow it's back to trucking. Til later guys

11. realfasho

realfasho Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Mooresville, NC
    Happy to know that you finally got home bruh. It's funny that you talk about that Americas Best cuz I was gonna go there when I go home and get me a new pair of glasses. Lol. But anyway I'm still broke down. They had to send my tractor to the dealer to fix an electrical issue. I could've just took the truck Friday but they couldn't fix the bunk heater so I was like I'm not going anywhere until that's fixed. Hopefully I will be hitting the road tomorrow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.