Comet Transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by amiller, Aug 12, 2013.

1. amiller

amiller Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    If you already have your prescription then America's Best has some of the best prices in the industry but I made the mistake of going for an exam.......ehhh never again. But anyway hopefully you get back to training lol. You ain't making money sitting.

realfasho Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. realfasho

realfasho Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Mooresville, NC
    Oh ok. I guess I will have to get my exam from somewhere else then. But you right, if the wheels ain't turning we ain't earning.

4. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    You have insurance through Western? I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to stay put long enough to get insurance here.

5. realfasho

realfasho Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Mooresville, NC
    I still have it thru the military. I think I'm going to get it thru the company next month though.

amiller Thanks this.
  6. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    So at about noon on Tuesday I received my load info. Pickup was in Gaston, SC delivering Wednesday morning in Bethlehem, PA. Now I live in Charlotte, NC why can't I get a load from my city? Anyway I get to the pickup and it goes bad.....I check in with the pickup number that the broker gave me but the shipper is saying that it isn't right. So an hour of phone calls and the issue is finally resolved but the shipper tells me to park and wait until a worker comes out to tell me what dock to back in to. 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm......finally a worker approaches and tells me to go to dock 3 then he says hold on. Angrily another driver approaches him and starts yelling about how he needs to get load now. So the worker tells him to go to dock 3 and he puts me in dock 4. 8pm, 9pm....I get my paperwork and haul out of this crazy place.

Now reality sets in.....this load is supposed to deliver in 12 hours and my trip planning has me cutting it very close but oh well let's get it. First order is to scale the load. Well I know there is a Loves off I77 in SC so I'll drive there. I get my weight right grab some coffee and hit the road. I77-I81 we're rolling now......that is until I get to the Troutman scale off I81 in VA. It's now roughly 2am I know my weight is right so why was I told to pull around back and park? The officer approaches and asks to see my IFTA. I hand it to him and he tells me to bring in my credentials because there is a problem. OH BOY!!!

"Your company's operating privilege in VA is suspended". He explains and at this point I am at a lost for words. How would I have known this? Does the company know about it? If they did know why would they not take care of it? These are all questions that are going through my head. He asks if I can get a hold of them at this time and I inform him that I cannot get in contact with anyone from the company until "normal" business hours *generally I cannot reach anyone from my company from 7pm cst-7am cst* He tells me that I'll have to stay here until the issue is resolved.

I was knocked out until someone was banging on my door....It's 8am and it's another officer asking for my credentials and that he is going to do a level 3 inspection. He tells me to pull around and meet him at the inspection area. Long story short:
    )Out of service-breaker strip exposed in tread no.1 axle right
    )ABS malfunction lamp inoperable
    )Empty fire extinguisher
    )Left low beam headlight inoperable
    )Service air line to no.1 axle brake chamber is chafing against plastic cover
    )Audible air leak on left side near fuel tank
    )Defective ABS malfunction indicator lamp for trailer
    )Tag light inoperative
    )Out of service-false report of drivers record of duty status
    )Company must pay $464 to reinstate VA operating privilege

Is this what being a truck driver is all about? All I want to do is be able to provide a good stable life for my family. I don't want to spend money paying citations or looking over my shoulder hoping that DOT doesn't "find" something wrong with my tractor trailer or logs. Why am I still sitting at this scale? Company must be waiting until tomorrow to handle these issues.

realfasho Thanks this.
  7. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    That's trucking in the 2010's and forward. Nothing even closely resembles what it once was. It's all about money, harassment, and having your every move watched with the threat of loss of job for a mistake.

You really should call Cargo Transporters in Claremont and talk to them. I drove p/t for them in the mid 90's, and a good friend of mine worked there a long time. Things have changed since the son took over, but I still don't hear any bad on them. One thing, they were, and still are very anal about safety and keeping their equipment in top notch shape. Any time I wrote up something it was fixed immediately, usually the truck was in the shop before I had finished my paperwork and left. Most of their freight is out and back also, or it was last I heard.

amiller and realfasho Thank this.
  8. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah it's really sad. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day

9. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I added to my above post. Re-read it.

amiller Thanks this.
  10. amiller

Nov 26, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    OK cool thanks for that info. I'm really nervous about moving to another company. The money/miles here are better than most other companies that will hire with my experience. Trust me I am looking though

11. stranger

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    They pay good and I'm not sure of the miles, but they used to have them. Plus they have lots of their own freight from companies around the terminal. Most times your load will be there at the terminal with your truck. Hook up and go. If not you would drive to a company close by and pick up a loaded trailer. I only loaded out twice as best I remember, and those only took around 30 monutes. According to where you go, you may have a preloaded trailer waiting for you close to where you unload.

The peace of mine of driving new equipment with a company with good records means a lot when the dot guys are looking around. They have one of the best records on CSA.

Look them up... DOT#: 257768

realfasho and amiller Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.