Coming back.. Maybe...

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by FlorabamaTrigger, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    there is a record .. In order to hire you May had to approve you (i was owner with co driver that worked for me with May). So there is a record of you, plus the dispatches, signed BOLs and logs ..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    I spoke with a recruiter from there earlier today, once again they get to the point of 'what questions do you have' and my mind went blank. She did tell me about perdiem, which I don't think is optional so that was a downside for me. No apu's, idle around like 35% i think she said. can take the truck home, out 10-14 days... cant remember what else but I'll probably be talking to her again soon and get some more questions.

4. FlorabamaTrigger

FlorabamaTrigger Light Load Member

I spole to a recruiter as well. Everything sounded good, the perdiem was optional. However, my problem came in again on where to park the truck during hometime. She said if I couldn't take the truck/trailer home with me I'd have to park it at their drop yard. Closest one to me is down in Fontana about 7 hrs away. May's yard is still closer at being in Sacramento. Which so far its looking like either May or Knight are going to be my only options.

5. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    do companies usually care if its your actual home or a local truck stop?

6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Yes they do. They claim it's a security issue or a safety one. May told me that a small kid could climb on or around the truck and get hurt leaving them liable.

7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    You might as well just go back to May if those are your two choices.

8. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Try jb hunt get on a dedicated account

9. FlorabamaTrigger

FlorabamaTrigger Light Load Member

I tried that. They said I'm a month and a half shy of the 1 year mark so to come back once I have my one year. Only problem with that is if I go back to May, I want to try and make it for a while, not just go back for a month and quit. Regardless of how it would look on my record, I kinda would like to think I'm a better person than that. Having said that, Something tells me if they end up dispatching me to drive 3 hrs, sit for 24 to load, then drive for 3, to sit for 16 hrs before I can deliver again I might rethink that statement.

10. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    May just conditionally offered me (1 yr otr) a job starting at 35cpm plus 3cpm for every mile over 10,000 in a month. 0.5cpm raises every 6 months topping out at 42cpm. Experienced drivers get a $3000 bonus paid in $1000 increments at 25,000 50,000 & 75,000 mile milestones. 11-western (dry van) average 2500 miles/week (3 weeks out) & lower 48 (reefer) average 2800 miles/week (4 weeks out) -- same cpm either way.

Orientation pay is $150 (paid only upon completion), with travel, hotel, and breakfast/lunch covered.

The bad: Cannot take truck home (closest terminal >100 miles, though 4-wheeler parking available). No additional pay for hazmat loads & company only has 1 hazmat account. No additional fuel economy or safety bonuses. Trucks have bunkheaters but no APUs. Idle time is 35% with 45% in the summer months. Recruiter was speechless when I asked how I was supposed to sleep comfortably in 110 degree heat in Bakersfield with the anti-idling law. Can only use company provided/installed 2000W inverters at a cost of $200 (can be deducted from payroll at $25/week). If you were to be assigned a new truck after 2 months, you'd have to pay all over again. Currently there are no trucks available for experienced drivers -- supposed to take delivery of new trucks "sometime in February"

11. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Once you pay for that inverter, its yours. You can move it from truck to truck as long as the shop installs it.

With experience, I would not recommend May. You will get micro managed to death.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.