Coming to orientation Aug 13th...

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by SpiritWolf, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Becker44

Becker44 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Missoula, Montana
    Well made it to Salt Lake City to pick up my truck. Very happy with it as well. 2008 Volvo with a Cummins. 400K and the previous driver took decent care of the interior. After a little cleaning she looks great! Waiting for my load assignment in the morning! Looking forward to it.

Actually had a small load already as I took a load from Missoula to our Helena terminal a whopping 120 mile trip. 2 of my classmates came along as we all met our rides @ the Helena terminal. This was the first time driving without an instructor. Quite a nice feeling to be honest. Had to run over McDonald Pass which is being re-paved. It's amazing how all the training kicks in. Made the pass without a hitch and rolled in to Helena about 2 1/2 hours after departure.

Got here to Salt Lake yesterday, called dispatch and was told to check-in Monday morning for a load assignment. Great for me as I have these 2 days to get the truck situated and stocked up.

Spirit is on his way to Phoenix to pick his truck up. There have been some delays getting him a ride but he should be moving as of this posting.

Post more later

Becker

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MontanaLongbow

MontanaLongbow Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Billings, Montana
    Awesome! seems your ready to roll. have a great time out there. all the best of luck to you.:Transportation cost please keep us posted on how your doing.

Becker44 Thanks this.
  4. hup

hup Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Missoula, MT

Good job & good luck out there! Drive safe.

Becker44 Thanks this.
  5. 2021DREAM

2021DREAM Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Sutherlin, Oregon
    Congrat's, on big new adventures. Keep it safe

Becker44 Thanks this.
  6. Becker44

Becker44 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Missoula, Montana
    Tuesday morning and still here in Salt Lake. They're trying to get me a load out of here this morning heading for Montana. The truck I picked up was just purchased and needs to get to one of our terminals. Nothing wrong mechanically, just needs to be looked over and brought up to the W/S specs.

Really looking forward to my first official run!

Becker

2021DREAM and hup Thank this.
  7. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    If you start out from Helena, I bet your first load will be flour or sugar.
    If it is, go to the first cat scale you can get to and weigh it.
    If you have a GPS, it will find one for you.
    I do that with every one, and find about 1 of 3 are overweight on the tandems.
    Adjust and re-weigh.
    Make it a habit with anything that heavy.
    Same goes for the beer or wine loads.
    Furniture and tire loads are no sweat.
    They are light, but liquid and powder loads need to be checked.

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  8. Becker44

Becker44 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Missoula, Montana
    Thanks for all the encouragment!

So....Finally got a broker load on Tuesday from Salt Lake going to Billings. 566 miles and it went really well. I know there are 2 schools of thought on having a GPS. I do have the TND 720 and it was a great tool for my first run. Getting out on I-15 and realizing this was the culmination of all my plans finally coming together was quite a feeling to say the least.

I was nervous as all get-out but the smile never faded. The GPS was a great co-pilot for a new guy like myself and allowed me to really concentrate on driving and being aware of my surroundings.

Today I left Billings for Three Forks MT. Jet you are right about using scales. I arrived empty at the Talc Facility @ 31,600lbs and left @ 77,660lbs. That's alota Baby Powder!! Orientation in Missoula taught us that Montana has the purest Talc in the world. There are many uses for it as well. Not just Baby Powder and regular Talc but it is used primarily in food products, paints, adhesives and the list goes on. Google is your friend!

The facility is pretty slick. They bundle the Talc which is mined some 50 miles from the plant in 1000, 1500 and 2500 pound bags. I was loaded with the 2500 lb bags- one to a pallet. The people there were very accomodating when I told them this was my first trip there. I got the history of talc and a tour of the facility.

Took the Talc to Helena Mt. where it was being re-powered to Oregon. Had quite a bit of trouble trying to uncouple from the trailer. At first I was on uneven ground and couldn't get the locking pin to release. I tried 2 other spots that appeared to be more level but the pin wouldn't budge. So I put my tail between my legs and went into the shop.

Met a nice (Big) younger guy and asked for some help. He came right out, cranked the landing gear a few more turns than most humans should be able to do, reached in with his hand and released the pin! WHEW! Learned a little lesson on the landing gear.

So now it's time for the shop to convert my truck to Watkins & Shepard standards. Will probably take most of tomorrow. I'll update again soon.

Note: The OP "Spirit" is in L.A. getting his truck worked on. Poor guy got a truck with some issues. Turbo inoperative, bad tires, air leaks, and generally in rough condition. The previous driver apparently was pretty negligent with it.

Becker

2021DREAM Thanks this.
  9. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    Yes, if you are fully loaded, crank the landing gear until you can't crank it any more. If you are on uneven ground, pull away a little bit and lower the suspension before you leave the trailer behind. I have seen plenty of trucks that have king pin damage on the rear of the tractor frame. If you do not already have a 5th wheel puller, get one.

My RM 710 died on me today in the middle of oregon and I had to backtrack to the truck stop and pay their bloated price for a new one. I got 2 months out of mine. I have heard the RM is unreliable. Now I know first hand. great unit when they work, but they are still a chinese made POS....like everything electronic.
    I could not do this job without a GPS. Not a chance.

10. SpiritWolf

SpiritWolf Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    North Highlands CA
    sorry guys...
    Finally gave up and paid to have the hot spot enabled on my phone. not having access was annoying the hell out of me...
    ok.. update time...
    Finished up our orientation, and road down to Helena with Becker. He made it look easy.. lol.
    from there our paths diverged.. He had a short run to salt lake city, and I had a long run down to Phoenix AZ.. (with a short jaunt 1st, to get a loud of flour to take with us).
    I enjoyed my ride down with a rather nice gentleman who spent most of his time adding to my level of wisdom. Yeah, i am being serious, the guy had some good tips.
    Ok.. got to AZ late monday, so i didn't have to much time to go over my tractor.
    I'm not shy, so if anyone's wondering, I have #1714. Stop by and say hi if ya see me. ;-)
    Shes a 2005 Freightlinner Columbia.
    (how come 6 out of 7 of my orientation got "new bought" trucks... and I got the old girl with 750k miles? Did I piss someone off? lol)
    Ok... 1st impression of my new truck...
    Dirty... Dog hair, dust, ect... Bought 2 bottles of febreeze and a bunch of cleaning supplies.
    Worn, but not worn out...
    she fired right up, and the A/C blew nice cold air... VERY important, since at that point in time, Where i was sitting was around 110... yeah... hot.
    Ok...Bobtailed over to wallmart for the cleaning supplies, and to get a feel for her.
    Shifts smooth and tight, plenty of power, steering perfect... Nice... Just need to get her cleaned up.
    Spent the night in a nearby truckstop... the sleeper was decent. Not 5 star, but hey, I wasnt expecting it to be. Still, comfortable. (side note, it takes a bit of getting used to sleeping in a running vehicle...Yes, i was idling...give me a break, it was still 105 at 4am.. )
    Ok, now the "fun" part. A load.
    Made a complete hash out of backing up to a dock, but got it in there... Felt like a rookie.. lol.
    Then it was time to leave. Heading out over I-10 towards LA. Truck rides VERY nicely, strait as an arrow. Was enjoying the heck out of it, until I hit the hills... Then she started coughing and loosing power...
    Nursed her over the hill, and she ran fine again.... So I hit a truck stop for sleep (had to, otherwise i woulda ran out of hours in the morning a hair before my delivery time)
    Woke up 4 hours later to a puddle of oil under the truck...
    Poured in a gallon ?!?!?!... yep... a whole gallon, and nursed her through LA traffic to the delivery... then to the shop in LA... now the fun part.. going over her with a fine tooth comb...
    Found a complete Laundry list of issues...
    Turbo bad. tire leaking air from a nail... Cab air bag leaking air... Oil dripping... fuel filter clogged (wasnt on pre-trip)...ect.......ect....
    So...i have been sitting here in LA since 10am... they got a new turbo installed, but the test drive showed that it aint working.. I have zero power... Bobtail, yet it "feels" like im fully loaded. Plus, you cant hear the sound of the turbo whining... so.. something still aint right.
    So.....
    Its bed time, and I will see what happens in the morning.

Sorry for bad spelling and typing... but im to tired to care. lol..
    i will continue to update as I can...

EDIT TO ADD....
    I have a TND 720 also and found it to be a great help...at least when it wasnt falling off the dash... I really need to figure out a better way to mount this thing. It matched the route the company gave me to a T... and the warning of scales, hills, speed limits ect... gives me just that much more of a heads up on things...

hup and 2021DREAM Thank this.
  11. jet460

jet460 Heavy Load Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Modesto, Ca
    Put the suction cup on the windshield and position the mount so the unit sets right on the top of the dash. It won't fall off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.