coming to prime with CDL+ some experience

Discussion in 'Prime' started by Mike2522, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Mike2522

Mike2522 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Illinois
    Hey guys, I posted a while back about trying to get onto a local prime route out of the local wal-mart DC. Needless to say I had some family issues going on and that didn't happen. But now that's been resolved and I'm looking back into contacting prime and see about getting hired. I do have a question though.

I have 5-6 months OTR experience including my CDL school, 4-5 without, depending on how they look and count dates. That being said I would really like not to have to go back out with a trainer for another 4-6+ weeks. I'm sure I have a little bit of rust since I haven't driven in ~6 months. But 30 minutes in a truck and i'll be back to floating gears like a champ. Back on point though, given my experience would I be required to go back out with a trainer? Before I left my previous company I felt pretty comfortable backing my 2013 t660 into some pretty tight spaces.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    They will not count anything from school as experience. Very possible they may not consider any driving time that you did while training as either.

4. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    With that minimal experience, followed by at least that much time out of truck....you will definitely have to go out with a trainer. Just not enough continuous uninterrupted experience & safety record. That's just the way it goes. They will be entrusting their CSA score & some mighty expensive equipment to you. They are going to want to be assured of the chance they will be taking on you.

Remember your posts well. Seems you finally DID get a trainer before you turned 65. LOL

Good to see that you haven't given up hope & are back searching for a proper fit. I am sure you have learned some hard lessons already & have taken them to heart.

Good luck in your search & best to you wherever you decide to land.

:biggrin_25525:

Chucktshoes and Puppage Thank this.
  5. Mike2522

Jun 28, 2015
    Illinois
    I figured as much, but a few of the companies I have looked at have mentioned it, figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it in.

Thanks for the response, I kind of figured that would be the case. Yeah, they finally got me a trainer after waiting almost 3 weeks after getting my CDL and being "hired" spent another 6 weeks with a trainer even though he said I was good to go after week 3.

I haven't given up, just trying to find a good place to land that'll actually treat me properly and give me a livable wage. Driving 1200 miles in 2 days then sitting 4 days just doesn't cut it on payday. It looks like I might have to bite the bullet and try to go back and get a few more months under my belt with OTR. I just really don't want to go back out with a trainer. It'd be different if it wasn't team driving vs actually training at 90% of companies.

6. Mike2522

Jun 28, 2015
    Illinois
    edited:double post

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    Reason for edit: double post
  7. Nolan533

Nolan533 Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Comer, Ga.
    I looking at going with Prime
    I have a CDL but the last time I drove was in 2010 I know that I will have to undergo some type of retraining.
    I am concerned about the TNT phase. I know from past experience I cant sleep in a moving truck it just will not happen.
    do I understand it correctly that in the TNT phase you have to run as a team driver for 40,000 miles?

8. wolf71

wolf71 Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2014
    Springlake Nc
    I had to do it and yes have to do the miles as a team. Good thing is its all dispached miles not what you drive

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Watkins-Shepard might take you. Only 10 days with a trainer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.