Comments/suggestions welcome. swift

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by teden20, Feb 12, 2008.

1. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    I haven't been logging for awhile (one of the nice sides of driving school bus) but, if my memory serves me correctly, doesn't the situation you mention fall under the "safe haven" rule and as such you would be allowed to proceed to a safe place to park within the same city as the customer, or nearest if none were available in that city?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don't do OTR either but I would think so.

4. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX Bobtail Member

May 23, 2008
    Cottage Grove, MN
    I am in my 5th week at Dakota County Technical College and we just learned even more about logs today. I don't recall it being called "safe haven", but there was a section where you could run IF you were out of hours; such as severe traffic, bad weather, etc. and you needed to find a safe place to park. They really push the logging. We actually log our activity every day. Whether I am driving, in class, or out in the yard, or at home. We need to keep track so we won't fudge our logs and we can always stay legal. Our instructor worked for Schneider for 11 years and said he never once had any major issues and never fudged his logs.

People who tend to fudge their logs will run in to trouble eventually. The rules are in place for a reason - to be safe!

5. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    I think the safe haven clause has to be a more unforseen circumstance. Not sure a slow receiver would fit the bill.

6. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Why wouldn't it? How could you know they'd take all day to unload you?

8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    (cough...choke) Um... I take it he worked in the office? Er... on second thought, it was Schneider. You don't have to worry about fudging your logs when you only get 1400 miles a week.:biggrin_2559:

Seriously, they'll fill you full of crap at school. But you'll see soon enough how it goes in the real world—unless you go to work for the "Great Pumpkin".

9. badsey

badsey Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Green Bay, WI
    -these companies have you tracked by satellite = too much log BS and you are history. I would say 2000+ paid miles min/wk at SNI = not a company for those that like to sit.

Freight is low and fuel costs are high = more pressure on drivers/dispatchers. Very easy to delete an underperforming driver under these conditions.

10. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    DOT regs 395.2 detail what exemptions that can be used for continuing past your 11 hours driving. Unfortunately for we truckers, they do not include sitting at a shipper or receiver. This is unfair, but as we all know, the regs aren't always fair or realistic. I've sat at shippers and receivers for the good part of day, and this kind of situation causes us at times, to illegally move when the shipper or receiver compels us to via a threat of trespassing arrest.

11. pawpaw

pawpaw Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Milan, NM
    Maybe should ask for them to put the "move or be arrested" threat in writing so that, if stopped and cited, we could show that the shipper was the one that directed us to violate HOS. If enough of that gets back to the company, they can work on the shipper or receiver to quit causing drivers to have to violate safety regs. Companies are getting more sensitive about this, they say.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.