Commom Carrier Rules

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by jbpeak1962, Oct 10, 2012.

1. jbpeak1962

jbpeak1962 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Leesburg, Georgia
    Hello everyone,

My name is John. I work for a common carrier in South West Georgia, hauling gasoline. I recently observed a proprietary company loading his tanker for a customer that we usually service. My question: Is this not illegal? Also of concern. If I report it, and the customer finds out they will probably get another common carrier to haul their products.
    Anyone have any light to shed on this.

Thanks,
    John in Georgia.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    If the Private Carrier has the proper Motor Carrier authority, it is legal.

4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    If they run under commom carrier authority they don't need broker authority. Commom carrier can use substitute service at any time.

5. Calspring

Calspring Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Canada
    It might be time to take your customer out for lunch to touch base with him to make sure he feels valued. He may be shopping around for a new carrier or it could have been a one off thing. Play dumb about what happened but i would touch base with him to see if there is something you can do to improve your relationship.

6. tank4life

tank4life Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    When you say proprietary company do you mean private fleet, common carrier? If it is a private fleet such as a jobber he may well have sold that particular load to the customer. If that be the case there is no cause for alarm. If that private fleet has common carrier authority also no cause for alarm. You would need to know all the facts concerning the shipment and the type of authority the carrier operates under and if it is current.

7. jbpeak1962

Jun 1, 2011
    Leesburg, Georgia
    Thank you for your response tank4life.
    To clarify what exactly happened:
    The carrier in question, we will call Hans' Foods, who has a Bulk Plant and about 5 or 6 bulk tankers and power units. Hans' foods a string of convenience stores as well. However, on the occasion in question. The Hans' Food tanker pulls into the Gasoline Terminal and lift Product off of another Franchise's account and delivers it to the store which i personally witnessed. My understanding is: If Hans' Foods had sold a load of gas to this franchise that he had in his bulk plant, then that would be perfectly Kosher. Or if If the load of gas had been billed to Hans' Foods and and then delivered to the other Franchise that too would have been Kosher. The fact is- Hans' Foods acted as a Common Carrier and lifted product from the Terminal from a supplier who has petroex accounts for it's customers to lift product from this terminal. This may not be illegal but there are certainly some liability issues for the all parties involved in this transaction.

8. jbpeak1962

Jun 1, 2011
    Leesburg, Georgia
  9. jbpeak1962

Jun 1, 2011
    Leesburg, Georgia
  10. jbpeak1962

Jun 1, 2011
    Leesburg, Georgia
  11. jbpeak1962

Jun 1, 2011
    Leesburg, Georgia
    Thanks for the replies and comments.:biggrin_25517:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.