Community college CDL training journey

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Jayfromthenw, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Jayfromthenw

Jayfromthenw Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    I made this thread to chronicle my journey to Class A CDL holder. So I recently decided that instead of going to Jim Palmer for CDL training I would attend the local community colleges CDL training. I like not being committed to one company for one year and one of my goals is to drive tanks which Jim Palmer does not. This is the program offered at North Idaho College in beautiful Coeur d'Alene.
    • GENERAL COURSE INFORMATION
    • Behind-the-Wheel – 50 hours
    • Classroom instruction - 20 to 40 hours
    • Lab, range training, and observation – up to 70 hours
    • Curriculum for this five-week course follows JJ Keller Tractor Trailer Driver Training Manual. Approved for Washington State CDL Class A training.
    • COURSE SCHEDULE Schedule:
    • Week 1 – Classroom Training
    • Week 2-5 - Skills training
    • $ 3595 Course Fee

I was able to get a grant from the school to cover half the cost of the course, which was awesome. Classroom size is 3 students total. Which isn't too bad, but not one on one.

Before you can start the class you must possess your Learners Permit. I took my General Knowledge, Air brakes, Combination vehicle, Tanker, Double/Triples. I still need to do my TSA assessment and study a bit more for the Hazmat endorsement and then take the test.

My first day of classroom instruction is on Monday, I will keep this updated with my daily experiences. The good, the bad and the ugly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    3 students in the whole class is fantastic. Well, at least to me it is.

Best of luck.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  4. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    @Suspect Zero

Thanks !

I am happy with three students , I was actually relieved when they told me the class size. I just hope the equipment is decent, I'm sure it is. But more on that later once I get in the truck.

5. Lord Pablo

Lord Pablo Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Keep us posted. I'm considering a community college as opposed to company training. I'm very interested in hearing how it goes for you and what you think.

Cuban_P Thanks this.
  6. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    Day one:
    Class starts at 8am and ends at 12 for the first week. All class room instruction.
    It begins with the standard introductions. The instructor has been driving for 35 years and said he has over 3.5 million safe miles. He is also a licensed test administer in all 50 states. He will be the one we will be testing with at the end of the course. Seems extremely knowledgeable . We went over the first 5 chapters of our book. Basic control, safe start, I can make another post with all of it .After we got to chapter 5 we got to check out the truck . Its a 2005 international 9400I with a 10 speed and 550k on the truck. He said the truck is a old system transport the school bought . It was my first time in a truck, it was awesome . Got to start it up and get a feel for the clutch. He went over how to control the lights , make adjuatments to the seat and steering wheel. I'm sure I missed some stuff he went over I'm writing this before I have to start work.

Excited for the week to be over and drive that bad boy.

Cuban_P and SHOJim Thank this.
  7. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    Day two:

Once again class room instruction with a corasponding power point . Everything so far has been common sense.

Day three:

More class room instruction until about 11:30 he said he is gonna take us out in the tractor and let us shift. So all three of us hop in the truck I happen to get the passenger . He pulls it out of the schools tight parking lot and pulls off onto the side of the road and says I'm first up.
    I was like here we go ! So I buckle up and get the mirrors adjusted and the seat right . This was bobtail by the way, I don't think he intended for us to drive today . I push the clutch in and slide it into 2nd, release the brakes and slowly release the clutch and get her moving . At first I was pushing the clutch in to much to shift, not to the floor but still to far. My first time was a little ruff , especially when I first used the brakes to stop. We dam near flew out the seats,haha. The brakes go 0 to 100 real quick. After a few times around the block where the school was we switched.
    Once it was my turn again, it was way better. My shifts were actually connecting, my timing was better. I got better at using the brakes. I got a couple down shifts on the first try. But definitely see it being just a matter of practice. I'm wondering if we get to do a little more driving tomorrow, I'm addicted now.

I had an absolelute blast and I didn't even go over 25. Can't wait for the next 4 weeks of just driving.

8. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    Day four:

Today started like all the previous days of class so far. Going through the book and follow along with the power point .
    Today we finished the book and then he handed out paper log books . One for each of us and a ruler. He did a nice explanation of how to fill it out and how he use to fill his out when he ran paper logs. He then had us follow along as we did the first one. He showed is how to do remarks and put down load checks, breaks, pre and post trip. How to fill out and do your recap and hours. After we did the first one, he gave us a couple different drive times,load checks and breaks to simulate a few days of drive time. After we filled them out and he checked them, he then expkained the 8/2 split and how it is used . He went over the 100 mile exemption and some other things . Everything seemed to click in my head, just looking forward to practicing it when the driving part of class starts.

9. Jayfromthenw

Dec 26, 2015
    Out West
    So as I previously stated. I was going to go with Jim Palmer to get my cdl but had decided to get it at my community college. We today I contacted them back saying I am getting my cdl and would like to drive for them once I have it. I was under the impression I would have to drive with a trainer for 40k training and then team miles, which is correct. But I did not know if you don't have experience driving they still require you to sign a 1 year contract, even if you have your cdl before being hired. Which threw me off. I figured I would post my experience with the recruiter.

10. Cuban_P

Cuban_P Bobtail Member

May 1, 2017
    South Jersey
    Hmm, something to look out for. Thanks Jay! I'll be watching!

11. Lord Pablo

Lord Pablo Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Jim Palmer is in the top three on my list and a one year contract isn't a horrible thing anyways. You probably want to stay with someone for at least a year to gain experience so I'd just go ahead and sign.

Keep us posted and keep blogging about the community college route.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.