Compact CB Suggestions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by J/Cope79, Apr 26, 2016.

1. J/Cope79

J/Cope79 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2015
    North Alabama
    I am going to put a CB in my 05 Dodge Ram and I am looking for suggestions for which radio that would be a good balance between Power, Tuneability, size and of course price. . I know I could put a number of different radios in there but space is somewhat limited in a regular cab pickup truck. I am hoping i could get some advice from some of the drivers on here that have good setups in their own pickups or other personal vehicles.
    Thanks in advance for any input .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    How about Stryker SR-89MC, i am sure someone will chime in with some knowledge of this radio.

4. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Do you have a bench seat or do you have bucket seats?
    [​IMG]This is how I mounted my radio and it doesn't take up any extra space

Ougigoug and darthanubis Thank this.
  5. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
  6. J/Cope79

Dec 9, 2015
    North Alabama
    I have a dodge with the fold up console. There are products that mount the radio that are already available. I plan on fabbing a similar mount as to what I have seen online. My main focus now is the radio itself. I have also gotten the antenna choice down to a wilson or a Sirio with good quality coax. The radio is my hangup now. I have a neighbor that swears by his Connex but i think that will be overkill for something i only drive a couple times a week.

7. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    My initial thought would be a Cobra 25. Really good little radio.

RockinChair, BTShepp and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Define overkill, do you just plan on making local contacts 5 to 10 mile range or do you hope to make contacts greater than 10 miles. I am currently at home and yesterday I was talking to a local contact 9 miles away with a Bearcat 880 but another contact 15 miles away could not hear me ( but I heard him) so I hooked up my General Lee and was able to talk to him fine, and was also able to talk to another contact 20 miles away, so a Connex would not be overkill if that is the type of range you are looking for, and please dont come in a steal the thread and tell me if the 880 was tuned by a certain tech I could tx and rx 50 miles, dont want to hear it.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. J/Cope79

Dec 9, 2015
    North Alabama
    No Sir, not at all, I am just looking for real world experience and advice from Hands that have used what they give opinion on. If the chosen radio needs tuned for optimal performance i would only want it tuned, not modded and hacked on so to speak. Im not trying to make antennas glow or anything crazy lol.
    Thank you to everyone that has chimed in to this point,

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The most bang for your buck would probably be a Cobra 29 with a Sirio 5000 roof mount antenna with a hole in the center of your roof and it will outperform other systems costing 5 times as much

BTShepp, ExOTR and darthanubis Thank this.
  11. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    J/Cope I wasnt referring to you highjacking the thread and turning the subject matter into something other than your original post, I was just hoping others would not, but if you have the room( and I dont have a problem in my pickup) to mount a larger chassis radio like a Connex or 2 digit Galaxy instead of a single final radio like a Cobra 29, if tuned properly you will have no problem talking and receiving 20 miles with a quality attenna, and it looks like you already have that taken care of.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.