Compact CB Suggestions

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by J/Cope79, Apr 26, 2016.

1. J/Cope79

J/Cope79 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2015
    North Alabama
    Okay, Im going to revive this thread by updating what i finally ended up with. I also have a Antenna question or two
    I ended up with a Galaxy DX949 with an Astatic noise cancelling mic. I know I was searching for a compact radio but the deal I got on this unit was too good to pass up. Since acquiring it I have basically refurbished the radio and had it tuned and balanced back within specs. Apparently someone with the super tuner screwdriver had been tweaking it. Anyhow I now have the antenna decision to make. Here is what i am going to get, and the choices are based on being locally available.
    Wilson Trucker 2000 or 5 foot wilson fiberglass whip. I will be mounting between the cab and toolbox on my 05 Dodge dually. Opinions and or suggestions on these two choices for my intended mounting location.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    If you are dead set on killing the performance of the antenna by choosing that mounting location I think the fiberglass whip will perform slightly better than the Wilson trucker antenna mounted in that poor location.

4. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

Mounting it on the tool box, if the box is properly grounded to the truck frame would be a much better location. I agree with Rabbi that the 5' fiberglass whip would probably outperform the Wilson, especially if you have to mount it where you originally intended.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Nothing to add just want to say that after reading my posts from a year ago I will admit I was a little unhinged and off the wall, the result of 2 teeth extractions and heavy dose of vicodin, trying my best not to have a repeat performance.

6. J/Cope79

J/Cope79 Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2015
    North Alabama
    That is why i posted on here, to get some real advice and not a bunch of BS... I have another option that mounts one or possibly 2 antennas on the mirrors. I have located some dodge specific brackets that locate them at the mirrors. However the mounts will not be any higher than the bed sides but the cab wont be in the way as much and that is also my reasoning for possibly co-phasing 2 antennas. When i finally get the flatbed put on the truck the antenna setup will be moved to the headache rack portion of that, but that is going to be a while before that happens. I have a Little Will that i use when going on road trips in the wife's car but want to keep it for temporary duties.

7. CW Spook

CW Spook Light Load Member

The Little Wil' is an excellent antenna and I'd actually expect it to outperform a longer antenna that is shielded by the cab and toolbox.

Neverready and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  8. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    I have always used a Wilson 1000 magnet mount antenna positioned in center of roof on my F 150 and have always been satisfied with the performance whether running radio barefoot or with power.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    This antenna made this possible. Any other mounting method won't come close performane-wise, except for the ball mount, maybe in a single direction towards the drivers front fender. Nothing beats the roof.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Everything else is drastically reduced performance.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    wolverine11 Thanks this.
  10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    I'd dump any stock mic and replace it with a noise-cancelling mic.

11. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    What kind of mount is that? I'd like to get one for my pickup.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.