Companies currently using driver cameras...

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by MACK E-6, Oct 29, 2015.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    You are correct, they're basically just going for it, and seeing if anyone notices. Up here in Canada, the province of Quebec caught them, I don't know all the specifics, but it was a huge deal and now no Quebec companies record anything as far as I know. I believe WEL in Wisconsin had a big lawsuit over Camera's/Audio, after some sleeper activities were leaked online by some disgruntled safety people. I'm not in safety, so I don't know all the exact details, and my company doesn't record inside or audio, so I don't know exactly how those policies work.

ghostcookie Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ghostcookie

ghostcookie Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Tennessee
    Im surprised a lawyer hasn't gone after a class action. Seems like there's money to be made. Also seems theres a shortage of pro-trucker lawyers. Maybe its as simple as drivers not doing anything about it, which i see frequently. The ones i hear crying "everyone has them" are the only ones with the cameras. I always tell them that was their choice!

BigHossVolvo and Gsm Thank this.
  4. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Indianapolis, In
    I read the same insurance narrative throughout this thread. Does anyone have proof insurance companies are forcing, offering discounts, and such for cameras? Something other than our safety director said so. I’m just curious.
    You know those signs in auto shops that say “Insurance regulations forbid customers in the shop”? Well it’s just not true. I know this for a fact. Those signs are there because they don’t want people in the shop. It’s credited to insurance so there is no one for the customer to argue with.
    So if the safety director says the insurance company made us put them in, you have no one to argue with.
    Anyway that’s why I’m curious if it really is insurance.

5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    Wow! Definitely a YMMV situation for sure. We use Lytx, outward only, no audio. about 100 company trucks (75 sleepers, 20 day cabs, 5 spotters, 12 O/Os these numbers vary occasionally due to supply chain issues right now causing replacement units to be late). Whenever we need footage, the safety director has to contact Lytx with a 5-minute window and the unit number and he'll get the footage sent to him. Aside from that, when a braking alert is triggered by the system (whether by AI avoiding a crash or driver input beyond a certain threshold), the footage from +/- 30 seconds is sent to safety. That's it. We don't employ camera watchers, nor do we pull footage at random.

Most "camera companies" are self-insured. They only have them to avoid any liability for the company and to hang the driver out to dry or prove the other vehicle caused the crash. Anything beyond that is to save on safety bonuses becoming a thing of the past. The companies with actual insurance? The collision avoidance systems give a good discount, but I don't think there is an insurance discount for cameras. Its just smart to have outward-facing systems for protection.

sevenmph, BigHossVolvo and Rugerfan Thank this.
  6. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Indianapolis, In
    Yeah I said long ago it’s about hanging the driver out to dry if necessary. The problem with that plan is lawyers and juries will be saying well you hired the driver, he works for you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted