companies that dont require refresh course

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by o.m.d., Jan 10, 2011.

1. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    i sent an email to a guy that brokers jobs to trucking companies. according to him i can never get a job driving tractor trailers unless i go to a full school, as many of you know i'm going to upgrade to the A this spring.

so my question is, are there companies that don't require a refresh course or full school?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KO1927

KO1927 Medium Load Member

May 19, 2009
    NH
    Yes you can, just not the super-carriers. Think small outfits. Think industries where the truck is a means to an end, as opposed to a trucking company. Foodservice, construction, logging, lumber yards, LTL Freight (might start on the dock there).

It is possible, it just takes more work than a sign up sheet. Network, call, fill out applications, and burn some shoe-leather.

Zuma and Wiseguywireless Thank this.
  4. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Think BROKERS that own their own equipment and have the best of the trucking world.
    - trucks that do what they are supposed to and not run @less than most posted speed limits;
    -a truck WITHOUT all that qualcom,vorad,electronic logs( loose leaf all the way!!);,etc. that takes the truck driving out of driving a truck while still running legal( don't think for a minute that the DOT does not audit and check a broker's truck out so running illegally or like a renegade from a decade ago(although I do kind of miss that style of driving) is not an option although we all fudge a log from time to time);
    -less sitting and more driving simply due to the fact that they want their loads covered first and fastest but w/the shipper and consignee in mind regarding looking/acting professional,arriving and leaving in a nice looking truck and;
    - no "never have driven dispatcher" telling you how to run,where to run,where to fuel,how to drive.
    -cell phone dispatch,direct owner to driver load planning,EXCELLENT home time and not earned home time as in 3 weeks out 1.5 day home junk;

5. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    well i've been doing a little hunting around the internet, havent been putting an serious effort yet as i still need to upgrade to the A. i am finding companies that hire no experience, it might take me a little more time but thats fine with me, i'm not in any rush i like my job i have now. but i need to get OTR experience so when i'm ready i can get my own truck and drive for myself. i'm confident in my abilities to switch to tractor trailers from straight trucks, i'm a safe driver but i gotta learn some things, how to maximize the 10 hours, stuff like that. i was a little put back when this broker told me theres no way i'll find a job...

6. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    so he told you no way you'll find a job? that is reason enough to give in and up i reckon. after all,all brokers are the same and their word is gold.

Right.

7. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    give up? yeah right. an email from a broker wont stop me!

x#1 Thanks this.
  8. o.m.d.

o.m.d. Heavy Load Member

Aug 15, 2010
    massachusetts
    when i said "put back" i didn't mean i was throwing in the towel, i thought to myself "what? no that cant be true thats nonsense but who knows, let me consult the great minds of truckersreport"

9. 94gt50

94gt50 Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Mountains
    I sure hope that all works out well for you, I think that is pretty much the standard truckers dream, just dont lease a truck from the same company who signs your paycheck keep us updated

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. I am medicineman

I am medicineman Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Kemper County, Mississippi

I started driving when I was 17 in an OSHKOSH concrete truck.
    At 18, I pulled a log wagon around the State.
    At 23, I was pulling flatbed around my area.

I worked mostly "local" off and on for many years.

I finally went OTR when I was 27.

I was a driver trainer, and laid down over a million miles without a reportable accident.
    I ran all 48, some Kanadia and Mexico, and even made a couple trips into Alaska.
    I pulled every imaginable type trailer (excepting a parking lot), and some that got a LOT of questions from other drivers as to what they were.

I left in late 2003, and went back to college and got an EMS degree.
    I drive Ambulances AND Fire Trucks now.

I also became a Emergency Driving instructor for both Ambulances and Fire Trucks, and have been doing that fot the past 3 years.

And you say ..... So what??

Well,
    I have recently spoken with the "big companies" and they ALL want me to take a "refresher course" before they will hire me.

I have a LOT of experience and training already.
    Unlike the 1 or 2 years they call "experience" nowadays.

So tell me WHY.

I honestly believe that its the same "racket" they have going with CCW classes.
    The instructors got to those who decide and fed them a line of BS about how much better things would be if people paid them $300 and up for a "class".

But I'm also kinda "tin-foil-hat-ish" at times too.

11. modog12345

modog12345 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2011
    poplar bluff,mo
    I am like medicine man. I started with straight lumber truck while in highschool (1982) and then worked for pepsi with 53' van and double,then to kraft foods pulling double reefer,did ltl for 5 yrs also double w/haz mat. Then the last 8 years I have had my own authority (intrastate) with 2 dumptrucks and lowboy hauling heavy equipment. Have to give up business do to economy and no local jobs. I can not get hired with anyone without going out with a have a trainer for 4 weeks.I am wanting to do flatbed and the big ones offer refresher courses.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.