companies that dont require refresh course

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by o.m.d., Jan 10, 2011.

1. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    bingo !!!!!!!!!!

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Zuma

Zuma Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I like this way of thinking...there's a whole big world out there; and it ain't one size fits all. :biggrin_25514:

4. Mighty Mike

Mighty Mike Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I find myself in the same boat as the other drivers. I don't want to take a refresher course but I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet. Can anyone recommend a decent company to go to so I can get back in the seat
    :biggrin_25519:

5. KnuckleBuster

KnuckleBuster Light Load Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Wellsboro Pa, Lakeland Fl
    I don't mind taking a refresher course whatsoever. What I mind is getting fleeced for $1200 for a 60 hour course to "re-learn" what I already know.

6. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    BW9: I have no problem with a legitimate complaint about Swift and have made a few myself. I have backed people up who have legitimate complaints. But you are seeing a lot of disgruntled EX-employees of Swift griping about them with no balance. The reason I point out the positive things or show where someone might have done it to themselves is maybe I think there should be some balance to all the negativity. I'm sorry you've closed your mind to it. But it really doesn't bother me. I know you're just repeating things you heard from other people and have no first-hand experience in dealing with Swift outside of the minority of drivers you do notice because they are jack.....um...bad drivers.

IAMM: I don't think anyone is questioning your experience or abilities. However, things have changed some. If I want to get back into the Fire Service, I imagine I will have to go through at least a modified academy, if not the whole thing. I have not done or seen it all like you apparently have in trucking, but I do have ten years experience on fire engines and ambulances. Would you want me responding to your mom's medical emergency after having been out of EMS for two years despite my previous ten years? I seriously doubt it. These companies who want you to take a refresher just don't want to turn you loose with an 80K pound missile without a little brush-up. Why would you be offended by that? It's ok, though. There are a lot of mom n pop outfits that won't require it. Good luck with the benefits and pay.

(BTW: I actually do clean up after my dog when he goes where people walk. If he goes in the brush, I don't.)

7. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    How in the heck did you arrive at that far fetched declaration? I still get calls from employers that I drove for 20 years ago and I never attended any truck driving school.I also took a few years off. I have never driven for nor will I ever drive for a large or mega carrier.In fact I drive for a one truck broker and IF I was/am a liability,how in the heck did a start up transportation company get me on their insurance? In fact he called me asking if I would be interested even though he knew I had been out of the loop for a while. Word of mouth regarding my reputation and not any refresher coarse prompted the call.
    Continue thinking as you do and stay relegated to those large fleets and the slow non trucks they allow you to pilot while monitoring your every move.
    I am sure that is the OP's dream job.Not.

8. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    x#1

"There is just no responsible company that is going to put a newbe in a tractor trailer without some proper training at a quilified school and some OTR ......."

How is the world does this post have anything to do with? I have no idea how you could disagree, its fact.

9. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama

I was referencing precisely that which you posted.
    I am a guy w/YEARS in the seat.I am a guy that took almost 4 years off from the driving aspect of transportation.I am that same guy that has never had formal "driver training".
    This guy did not attend a refresher coarse in any form or fashion. All of the preceding is FACT.
    How is it that I am insured by the company that I now am now employed by if I am a liability?
    Out of curiosity Jonny1,you do not list that you drive or have ever driven.Does that mean that you actually speculate as you post?
    Merely inquiring as your posts and rebuttals seemingly follow no actual experience from a trucking/transportation ideology.

10. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    x#1,

I have been driving class A for 5 years and B (box truck) before that. I was born into one of those "small family owned trucking companies" that everyone on here refers to all the time. They are subject to all the same insurance & federal regs as everyone else. Yes insurance companies will allow a company to hire a driver with your years of experience, without school as long as they can verify all of your past employment 10 years, they will do their own investigation as to the company and equipment and what not........but not some guy that has been hauling hay wagons on the farm it is not going to fly anymore (it did a few years ago). My dad hired many x-farmers when the kids took over the farm. Simply many companies will not even go any further, and often state their company policy of attending a cdl school is mandatory (I'm sure they pass on some very good driver talent)

Most insurance companies require a refresher if you dont have min of 6 months OTR in 12 months or 12 months OTR in 5 years......but many company policies are are much stricter. Do I think all schools produce a safe driver, no I don't but I dont make the rules. The more a company is self insured, the more flexibilty they will have with a driver in your situation. Companies that hire students are a whole different deal, and they have their own standards......many companies would love to train students, and get some freight hauled cheaper......but most insurance companies require huge bonds for driver student training that smaller companies can not afford, they also have to have proper training program in place and be inspected on a regular basis, and this all cost big money. I saw in a trade magazine that the average cost to train student in a large fleet was like an $5000-$6000 investment.

x#1 Thanks this.
  11. drmaddogs

drmaddogs Bobtail Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Augusta,Ga
    Just like everything else in life when it comes to human beings, everyone has a motivation..an agenda. To get your agenda filled, simply don't accept others(agendas).

Heck... one outa three brokers don't know anything beyond their own desk/cubicle! One outa 4 dispatchers make statements just to see if it'll float! And there are those that are negative because they like beating up people and causing a disruption for the sake of their own twisted self acknowledgement.

zentrucking Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.