Company CDL Training / MVR ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by kennethshannon20, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Stevens runs 48 states with lots of west coast PNW runs.
    I don't think Millis runs west coast.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kennethshannon20

kennethshannon20 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2023
    I believe I read one of your replies somewhere on here that you are a fan of running reefer. Any particular reason? Others seem to hate on it for wait times and such.

4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    First day in my career that I pulled reefers, I knew I'd found my calling. I'd already done dry van and flatbed running 48 states.
    Wait times don't bother me because of being paid hourly pay while waiting.
    Can work your schedule for more night driving which I prefer; less traffic to deal with for one thing. Night driving makes it easier to find parking for the 10 hr. break because most other trucking is running during the daytime hours. Don't have to deal with that blasted bright sunshine coming through the windshield when driving at night.
    ~
    Here's a good example of refrigerated trucking pay: this company has been hiring at 3 mos experience lately.
    Marten® Transport CDL-A Jobs | Marten Transport® CDL Company

kennethshannon20 Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You may also hear that the reefer driver has to pay the lumper to unload the truck. No, I never experienced that and have never talked to another reefer driver that had to do that. From my experience, once the lumper unloads the truck, one of two ways he is paid. The lumper money is included in the billing already or you call your company and say, "The truck is unloaded, I need a Comchek number." Your company gives you a number which you give to the lumper and then you can leave. The lumper uses that number to collect his pay. Simple process.
    Sometimes a company already has an account with a lumper service, so the driver doesn't have to do anything.
    I don't know how owner-operators deal with this; I only know how company drivers deal with it.

6. kennethshannon20

Jan 30, 2023
    So no APU on Millis trucks, idle time 30% max to get bonus. Average miles seems to be something in the range of 2500-2800. This is what I could gather from a driver for them. Pay .44 cpm plus bonuses that could get to about .50 cpm. Detention pay $20/hr after 90 minutes. $0.10 fuel bonus per compliant gallon. $15 per stop extra stop pay. $600/week during school, then cpm pay when otr with trainer.

Stevens does have APU, the recruiter CLAIMS 2500-3k miles weekly. .50 cpm but I havent gotten info on any bonus/accessory pay. The recruiter seemed a little rude and off to me, kind of a used car salesman type but maybe I am reading too much there. No pay during school (not a big deal for me). $700 per week when OTR with trainer for 240 hours. CPM kicks in once solo.

So I started off wanting Stevens, now I am second guessing, and maybe Millis is my best bet.

Since then I have both Prime and Swift wanting to speak as well. I havent heard anything good about either of these lol.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Prime and Swift are both ok.
    Go with refrigerated division with either of them.
    Yeah, between Millis and Stevens, I'd go with Stevens.

kennethshannon20 Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Our Stevens expert is on medical leave right now; nothing to do with trucking.
    He has nothing negative to say about the company.

9. kennethshannon20

Jan 30, 2023
    Thanks for all your help, I know I have asked a lot in the past 2 days.

The short and long of it is I currently have a job, been with the company for 10 years and make good money. But, I want out of it. I no longer can stand the corporate, Fortune 500 job. Drives me insane (insurance industry). I have a family though and want to ensure when I make the move, I can make a living. I have the funds to get me through the training period without issue, its what I make once solo I am looking at.

I understand pay wont be the best with these starter companies. I will likely go local once I have the needed experience. In the meantime…

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.