Company Driver

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by pasmurf, Jun 16, 2015.

1. pasmurf

pasmurf Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2014
    OK so the noobs from the winter are gone from this forum?
    My first truck with Stevens on was a recovered truck. Got a load with it and bought it back to the yard, where it was put out of service. My next truck, I was asked if I wanted a Peterbilt or Kenworth. I took the Kenworth. A 2013 T700. Finally got rolling in May 2015. I think I got 18 days before I went home for almost a week. So far so good. My latest load, pick up in Indiana and drop in Oakland Ca. 2400ish miles. Currently resetting the 70. The per diem paid is what makes the situation OK in addition to the cpm pay.
    Lot of negative out there, but generally my truck stop grapevine source tells me that there is 300% turn over in trucking, and that there have never been so many accidents as there has been the last 3 years.
    I try to go 60, but some of those hills and mountains get me over that. Hills and mountains are another topic entirely, so I won't get started, all I know is that I didn't burn up my brakes once.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pasmurf

Jan 11, 2014
    If you're on a long trip there is nothing that can't be cured by singing 99 bottles of beer on the wall, gum and sunflower seeds.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  4. fieldchaser

fieldchaser Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    FT Myers, Fl
    This noob from the winter is still around some, although I do find more action on our facebook group.

5. pasmurf

Jan 11, 2014
    I switched to prealliance after some time in the Dallas yard around June 25. They got me running load after load. Started to bump into my 70 a lot, but kept going. I did have to repower a 2500 mile load, but then got a 300 and a 1300 miles right after that. To lease or not to lease becomes a big decision especially with the incentives available til the end of August.

6. fieldchaser

fieldchaser Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    FT Myers, Fl
    I took the Alliance class yeste4day. I'm convinced it's a good way to go especially if you don't have to get home often. It seemed during the class that they really do want you to succeed.

7. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    Everyone's experience is different, I never leased and made pretty good money there, I have friends who leased, some did good, some did horrible, some are still there, most are gone.

It's not for everyone, I personally dd not want the headache, bit some love it.

8. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
  9. pasmurf

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm at 2942 miles this week, I took a reset last Friday and came up with Cheyenne to NY, Buffalo, Schodack landing near Albany and then the Bronx, got my load in Grand Island Ne. BTW Grand Island has most fireflies I've ever seen at night.
    I've heard some weird stories about how to recap. I keep it simple, run hard til your hours are up then reset. It paid off well this week.

10. pasmurf

Jan 11, 2014
    Cost of food at truck stops without going to Walmart and no frij is the big
    Costliest item for this newish driver.
    Talking to a 40 year driver veteran on the 4th of July, he went through 3 wives in his life time and doesn't regret trucking. It is food for thought, long deep thought.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  11. pasmurf

Jan 11, 2014
    Home time, good question. Depends on what state you live in. If you need to go home and you can't they bring you to the yard and bus/fly you back.
    Ran into some one today who is jumping out of his contract 11/12, 1 month early. He said lawyers would be in contact.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.