Company refusing to give logs

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Canadianhauler21, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    So the last company I worked for fired me without notice and took all my Elog and paper logs. Now they are refusing to give me any copy of the logs because I threatend to report them for cabotage to US immigration and US labor board. I was mostly on Elog and some paper logs.

Anything I can do to get the logs from them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Tell them to email them to you because you will need them in the event of a cra audit. You must retain for 7 years to prove meal deduction claims.

I wouldn't have said anything to them about the cabotage deal. I'd have just forgotten about it and went on with life.

4. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    They raided my truck and took all my money they thought was theirs, logs and all my meal reciepts. The boss hasn't been replying to my texts or calls about my 6 weeks of back pay either. Going the lawyer route and will hope for the best. I would have forgotten about the cabotage thing but the fact that they took hundreds of dollars of my own cash money really pissed me the #### off.

5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Ok that's way past cool.

Toronto new Canadian company?

Canadianhauler21 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ok, that's uncool I agree with Gokiddogo.

Carefully document this "Raid" who took what, how much, where, when and why. Name names if possible.

Get a lawyer involved. You are supposed to have logs for yourself up to 7 years (We keep ours 8 against audit)

In fact, if that company has actively interfered with your ability to maintain lawfully required records you might turn them into the Crown or the Feds. There is a percentage in it for you once they recover what they have to in prosecution.

Im going to condense one thought in a single sentence. Companies or more accurately enemies of you'rn within a company are not allowed to stomp and raid you with impunity. I find it disgusting and inhumane. Then again it's good that they absolutely think you are a annoying bug to be squashed. That means all gloves are off, go to war.

7. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    New Canadian company, my buddy has been working there 8 years so I thought it was a good idea to work there. Everything was good until they started making me move trailers around in the US.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    Thanks x1Heavy, I'm going the lawyer route on this one. I had hundreds of dollars of mixed currency USD and CAD. They also took all my personal meal reciepts with them. The owner called me the other day and tried to convince me cabotage was all legal, that same night my all my logs were taken, money reciepts. Almost as if they knew everything they were doing was illegal so they wanted to destroy all my logs to cover up their tracks.

I will absolutely go to great lengths to make sure these guys get screwed as hard as possible.

canadian and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You know what will happen? They will get caught, get huge fines and maybe authority revoked. Transfer out all equipment to a new numbered company, generally owned by a brother or cousin (there is no end). Declare bankruptcy in old company, never pay fines, judgements against them, drivers, anything. Fire up new company with previous equipment under a new authority and everything. Rinse and repeat. Drive the trucks until they won't go another mile, never repair them. This is also common when they rack up enough bad inspections to have the authority revoked. Or insurance tells them they're done. The end game play is always the same.

If you think I am kidding, take notice of the USDOT numbers on all these trucks running around in the Toronto area. They just keep getting higher and higher. They are well into the 3 million numbers now. You want something a little more stable? Look for lower usdot numbered companies. And avoid working with or for the new Canadians. PERIOD!

10. Canadianhauler21

May 15, 2017
    These guys are already running under 2 authority's, one is under his brother and one is under the boss. I would post both authority's here but since I basically admitted to acts of cabotage I can't. But you are right on that other part of repeatedly changing authorities. It's ####ing ridiculous. I'm basically Indian myself born and raised in Canada and it really disgusts me on these things these "new Canadians" are doing. Literally every company I go to apply for asks if I'm incorporated, nobody wants to pay company cheques anymore.

canadian, magoo68 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    There was recently a rule change on that. About drivers going incorporated and trying to dodge some taxes. They now also go after the carrier for hiring someone as an independent contractor when clearly they are not.

Cra definitely has their work cut out for them. Which is good. Keep them off my case. Not that I break any rules I'd just prefer to never talk to them.

Canadianhauler21 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.