Competitive hourly rate for starting intermodal?

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by GetonwithiT, Nov 26, 2017.

1. GetonwithiT

GetonwithiT Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2017
    Is $22 an hour a good hourly rate in the Chicago area for a new driver out of School? This job also includes paid vacation and sick days after 12 months. What do you guys think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MrReactor

MrReactor Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Very for a new driver, Flo Trans offers $18 pr hr depending on experience and Land Trans offers $19 w/ 2 years exp

GetonwithiT Thanks this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Yes its a good wage OTR doesn't pay drivers that much if they got paid by the hour.

GetonwithiT Thanks this.
  5. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Yes that's good. Lots if the Chicago area Intermodal companies won't pay time and a half after 40 hours its all straight time but for being new and fresh out of school that's a good hourly. Any medical insurance? This job pays on a W-2 not 10-99 correct?

GetonwithiT Thanks this.
  6. GetonwithiT

Jun 15, 2017

Yeah W-2, I am a company driver just started last Monday. I am currently in their training program with one of the more experienced drivers. That will be for the first 3-4 weeks or so. Then I get on the road by my self for a probationary period that will last a couple months, and if all goes well I become a full time employee with Union benefits. This company also has Insurance,dental and vision. As for time and a half this company has that but not after 40 hours, it starts at 50. Is that normal?

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  7. MrReactor

MrReactor Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Chicago
    What co if I may ask?

GetonwithiT Thanks this.
  8. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    $880.00 a week gross, based on a 40 hour week. Benefits. Good Home time. No doubt, OT is available as well. Nice! Congratulations! Good luck with it.

GetonwithiT Thanks this.
  9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    From what I heard when I did Intermodal in Chicago area from other drivers that most companies either didn't pay OT or payed after 50... I'm sure your trainer is showing you the ropes but make sure to get a map at each yard when you go into the drivers service to register and then keep them in a folder or something for when your done with your trainer. You obviously won't remember the lay out of every yard. Especially the ones you go to every blue moon that way you'll already have your map to help you get around when the time comes.

RERM and GetonwithiT Thank this.
  10. GetonwithiT

Jun 15, 2017

Yeah. Im so grateful to have come by this opportunity. Just have to listen to my trainer, He's very professional and is just giving me gems throughout the day when were driving. So the last week hasn't even felt like work.

Eddiec Thanks this.
  11. GetonwithiT

Jun 15, 2017

I am picking up the maps while we are registering me at the yards. The thing I most worry about is getting lost to and from yards so I might need to get a GPS. There are about 20 different places that we go to so thats really the only thing.. As for the OT from what my trainer said, to get OT all you have to do is sign up with dispatch for that week. He said that in the 9+ years that he's been working there that OT has always been available up to 19 hours a week after your 50 regular hours.

HalpinUout Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.