Complete a/c overhaul on 9400i

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by ihc4b, Jun 25, 2022.

1. ihc4b

ihc4b Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
    I'm working on replacing most everything on the a/c system. Condenser was smashed. Truck was rusty lines would not swivel at the connections. Line twisted off. Already had bolts broken off in the York compressor. Truck has a 12.7 detroit. Read about snapping bolts off that mount the brackets to the timing cover. Is this a Freightliner bracket issue or a Detroit issue. Does the International brackets have the same problem. I also hear the sanden compressor is more reliable. Looked into the conversion from AP air. Lady on the phone wasn't much help, as they are a wholesaler and couldn't tell me anything without OEM part numbers. Has anyone done this swap? Or can you share any info?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Oh yeah. There’s a couple threads on here about it. Freightliner claims it’s a Detroit problem. I’ve seen different set ups for 12.7 on Peterbilt’s with Sanden compressors mounted on Left side, with a dedicated belt. No problems. Post some pics of current set up, including bracket, electrical plugs, lines and belt routing. Probably the same as Freightliner. Nows the time to convert to a Sanden. Less vibration, last longer, and cheaper. Good time to just change everything, including expansion valves. Lines can be made using existing lines, if still good. Lots of options. Best to upgrade lines, Factory lines are expensive. Better to make your own, with reusable fittings, attached to new Fittings. Being able to get a line made anywhere, or make your own.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  4. ihc4b

ihc4b Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Yes I kinda thought this was a good time to do everything. Single belt 7 groove I think. Will try and find some photos

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    2262DEE2-4183-430C-B5C2-DCFE8699D1DA.png 954BEDC7-47BD-4146-9C96-7337C51B991F.png 058FF968-3089-4D36-8500-2DFEF40A708D.png
    Either a 6 or 8. Probably 8. Serpentine belt running ac/alt. off of Accessory drive, along with a belt tensioner. Hopefully that’s what you already have. You’re halfway there already. Here’s the bracket for pad mount Sanden. Best upgrade, except for the newer 2002 and up, with bolts through the front cover. That includes changing front cover, inner or outer, not sure. See what you have. Here’s some compressors for an idea. Be sure to get the fused clutch compressor. Allows clutch to run as an idler, should it lock up, without needing to bypass it with a short belt for alternator. Check plug, clutch. Last thing is lines. There’s a few options for them.

6. ihc4b

ihc4b Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
  7. ihc4b

ihc4b Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I had male flare fittings welded to the compressor fittings. Make your own lines, using these fittings. A lot cheaper, and easier if a line gets chafed. One of my lines recently failed near the compressor. Cut a new end, used a new fitting, kept the old one, later dug the old hose from it, and good and cleaned it up good as new, keeping it onboard, as a spare, for next time. Had a leak. Had to use a pipe wrench to hold it, because the weld was in the way. The green dye is a lifesaver. I bought oil with the dye. More convenient than adding oil and dye separately. Some tips to avoid being without a/c on the road. You can do the same on other ends, weld the flare to metal fittings. That way, all you need is the hose itself, and the reusable fittings. Dealership a/c line set for my bunk is over $1000. You can probably do you’re whole system for less than that. International has some unique manufacturers specific parts, having to do with evaporator and controls. I’m not familiar with them at all. Others on here are. I’m not a real mechanic. Best to get all the info you can. I only know what I’ve done on my Truck. One note: If the holes are wallowed our on front cover, inner and/or outer, bolts will continue to break. Drilling/sleeving, or replacing covers is a whole other thing.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    6 groove pulley. Looks like the alt. has its own belt. Also fan has its own belt. Only a/c is ran off of accessory drive. If so, that’s good. I think you can use the bracket I posted. It’s for a Freightliner. Combination a/c compressor, and alternator pad mount bracket. Just leave your alternator where it’s at. Be better anyway. They probably make a bracket for Internationals. Might only be available for an ear mount Sanden compressor. Ideally a pad mount bracket, from International would be best. The conversion kits for York to Sanden are only for ear mount compressors. The problem is the correct compressors that go with the kits I’ve seen are rare and twice the price. I advise going with a pad mount compressor if possible. Less chance of vibrating and rocking the bracket, wallowing holes and breaking bolts. A 6 groove pad mount compressor is very common. You want one that’s common, and usually in stock. Any electrical connections for the clutch can be converted, if needed. Making future replacements easy. The other thing is your fan switch. Any connections made would need to include it. The bolt on the bottom of your current bracket may not be original. Looks like someone had an idea, to stabilize the bracket. Adjustments not needed with the tensioner pulley I’m seeing. I have a Parts book that’s currently misplaced somewhere. It’s a big help. Comparing what you have, and what’s available is the only way. No one can help over the phone, or at the Dealer. An easy way, is to find a Truck with the Sanden set up already on it. Looking at different Internationals, hood open at the fuel island, Lol, or at a Junkyard. Might get Lucky, get the last 6 vin# and order parts. Fat chance, depending on how common it is. I’ll look for my book. You have enough info now to get ideas what’s involved. PM me if needed, in case I’m busy, and don’t check this thread.Ill look for the book.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Looking again. I see the idler is stationary. I think the freightliner bracket, with a freightliner tensioner idler, along with the right length belt would be a good set up. Hardest part would be figuring out belt length, to achieve proper tension. I could check mine. You can then hold tensioner in place, while measuring the belt route with a piece of string. Re reading, I see you’ve never had any broken bolts on the bracket, only compressor. Might want to keep the bracket you have. I adapted my old bracket, using 1.5” x 1.5”
    Square tubing. The difference is in bolt pattern. Have to mount square tubing to bracket, then mount compressor to square tubing. Have to decide where to drill holes. You can drill them elongated for minor adjustment at the bracket, It worked good. Just enough room for a wrench and with right length bolts. Ideally nuts welded on inside of bracket, so compressor could be changed easier. Using the 1.5”‘square tube, my belt length stayed the same. Good when ordering parts per vin #. Worked perfectly since clutch diameters are different. You can check all that, before deciding what best, pretty sure 2 pc. of 1.5”’square tubing would work good. Looks the same diameter clutch as my old York was.

11. ihc4b

ihc4b Bobtail Member

Dec 29, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted