Complete Newbie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Truckie911, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Reefer outfits don't want drivers touching freight anymore. Elogs put a stop to that.
    Shipper loads the freight and a lumper service unloads it. So just flip a coing between reefers & dry van.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckie911

Truckie911 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Awesome information, thank you! I really liked the idea of Prime and the 1-on-1 on the job training idea. Seems to be straight to the point.

4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    I’d go with system transport. Good school and a good company. I made 55k my first year there.

Truckie911 Thanks this.
  5. Truckie911

Mar 11, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Awesome, that's great. How are the benefits? I have a daughter with Epilepsy, and a wife with medical problems?

6. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    They are basically like every other large trucking companies benefits. Usually not great and expensive for a family. But anymore that’s just how it seems to be

7. Truckie911

Mar 11, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, isn't that the sad truth. That's the ONLY thing I will miss about being a Local Government employee.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You may be comfortable with large vehicles. That is a plus.

But when it's time to come off Cabbage on ice at 40 ton and 18 mph downgrade... it will be something. Fortunately you would have practiced on many smaller ones before you got that far west loaded.

You probably know this already but everyone has something that is a real problem in trucking. Spouse had a issue with wide open nothing in Nevada one day. You think you know yourself and someone well, but when you find a situation not to your liking due to a phobia of heights or some other terror things get interesting.

You might want to look into Tanker work. Nice amount of detail and not too much lumping for your back.

9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    2 points here. First driver loads/unloads are a rare exception these days. It is not just reefers. 2nd The reason really is because of the industry going to preloads followed by drop and hooks followed by insurance/OSHA regulations that don't allow drivers on the docks. The real difference between reefer and dry van is getting used to having that reefer cycling all day and night then all those long hours stuck in a grocery warehouse. I always advise anyone considering getting into reefer driving to speak to reefer drivers. It really is not the same.

Truckie911 Thanks this.
  10. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018
    If you go over-the road, be sure you know what the life is all about. Have you watched some of the OTR videos on youtube? I mean, you are going to run into a lot of hassles at times at shippers/receivers, driving over the hourly limit at times, high-cost living expenses out there, long load/unload waits, and a hundred other non glamorous issues that no one tells you about. Driving can earn you a decent living, but you have to be prepared to withstand the lifestyle. Some personal advice after 34 years OTR; always, always do the speed limit, and, don't do what everyone else does- use your own common sense.

Truckie911 Thanks this.
  11. Truckie911

Mar 11, 2018
    Raleigh, NC
    I was waiting for the first misinterpretation of what I meant by mentioning the larger vehicles.....I have the utmost respect for y'all and the skills you have handling big rigs. I was not even trying to come close to comparing the two, because it's apples to oranges, both ways. I was just implying that I have a slightly higher comfort level than someone who jumps straight into a big rig after driving a Prius all their lives. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.