Completing gas loads quickly

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ronjeremyjr, Jun 29, 2020.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    That's the way I was taught. How were you taught?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Depends on the jurisdiction. In NY State I was told it was $10,000 fine to the driver and $10,000 to the company, enforceable by police, fire, or Dept of Environmental Conservation police.

Yeah, I worked nights too. Four times in two years I had DEC cops sneak up on me to check things out.

The vapor recovery is the first hose on and the last hose off. All the time every time.

The "cowboy era" is LONG over in gas hauling. "Do the dance", same way every day. If you can't, stop hauling gas before you hurt someone.

Best of luck.

4. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    You're right about the cowboy era being over. When bottom loading and vapor recovery first came in we weren't happy about it and we fought it.
    We used to prop the vc header open with a folded over popsicle stick to let all the vapors out after we unloaded. At night we'd pop the domes.
    We got caught a couple of times but all they did was yell at us for awhile and make us promise not to do it any more. This was in 1975 or so.
    Can you imagine what would happen to a driver these days who did something like that?
    California would probably bring back public flogging.

Ricco1689 and homeskillet Thank this.
  5. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    $20,000 for forgetting a dome lid. Driver went to court and got it dropped to $5,000.
    Day and night drivers split it.
    First driver should have closed it and the second driver should of caught it on his pretrip.

Ricco1689 and homeskillet Thank this.
  6. REO6205

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We had something similar. The mechanics put new dome gaskets on and didn't close the lids.
    The trailer sat out in a hard rain for about four days.
    A driver picked up the trailer, never got on top to check anything, and loaded 80/87 avgas.
    All told he traveled about 300 miles with the domes open, about 100 miles with the load.
    When he started to unload at the airport the water in the load tripped the nogo-filter at the tank farm and it shut the header down...just like it was supposed to.
    I don't know what that screwup cost the company but the mechanic and the driver were both fired. The mechanic got his job back but the driver copped an attitude and we never saw him again.
    All the av-gas in that load went back to the refinery for polishing, a new load was bought and delivered by our company free of charge. We still lost the account.

D.Tibbitt and Ricco1689 Thank this.
  7. ronjeremyjr

ronjeremyjr Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2020
    NY Tristate Area
    I haven’t been taught. I’m hoping to get on with a company sometime soon.

8. dboy817

dboy817 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2012
    We didn't get that much enforcement in a rural area in texas. Lot's of stations here some didn't even have vapor recovery. Lots of tank removals in the last few years getting new tanks and updating systems.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  9. dboy817

dboy817 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Yeah emptying the bigger compartments first does several things. Especially in flat bottom trailer.
    1- allows the compartments to drain while your unloading smaller ones and then once you finish go back and drain off.
    2- Incase your tank reading is off allows for a smaller amount of retain incase you fill the tank up completely and need to take some to another store. There's a couple more reasons but those are the main two you come across more often.
    Yeah in today's times make sure you hook the vapor up first and remove last.

10. andhe78

andhe78 Bobtail Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Buffalo, NY
    Get an hourly gig, and you won’t have to worry about going fast.

One of our guys got dinged last fall for hooking up the vapor hose after the product hose. Both the company and the driver got fined-not pretty.

11. Ricco1689

Ricco1689 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NY
    Talking dome stuff and getting up top, theres an article posted in the BOL room of one of the terminals.
    A BP trailer imploded due to snow blocking the vapor vents. If anyone used my trailer I make sure to get up there and check compartments. I was never told or trained to keep that venting free of snow working for multiple gas outfits but added it myself to my pre-trip.
    Company I work for now has some dumb @zz dome hinge-pin assembly that has to be taken apart for the dome release latch to close and lock. God forbid I have a probe go and I have to get up there in the freezing cold at 3am to water it and play with that phukking hinge crap.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.