Computer Logs (not Elog)

Discussion in 'Interstate' started by Palazon, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Vio

Vio Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2012
    AZ
    Or is there any other program that work on iPad?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    Don't get it what's wrong with paper logs ? Soon E-Logs will be here and you'll have to use it anyway and trash your software (?) log stuff.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  4. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    +1

if people arent updating their paper logs, which just requires you reach over and grab a pen, what makes you think they're gonna fire up their laptop, hook everything up and do it this way? especially for every duty status change... at the end of the day, for it to look nice and neat if you cant do the lines and your writing is horrible sure, but don't think this would make those that cant draw 2 lines to change their duty status motivated to do more work, unless these programs automatically change your duty status for you like most elogs?

Paloma and sal Thank this.
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You need to be able to print the current day up to the current time if needed, you don't have to have it printed up at each duty change.

My buddy on e-logs gets hassled by enforcement far more often than I do, and when they can do a blanket audit or instant compliance check with e-logs, you all probably won't be such happy campers to be using them, either, especially if they tighten them up as much as some have to deal with.

The thread was started to ask a question, not about whether or not e-logs are better, that has been debated elsewhere, ad infinitum.

Palazon Thanks this.
  6. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    We must do things differently... I have a laptop on a stand ($50, but I could make a new stand for $10) next to me while driving, up and running with logbook open. Click of the mouse and I'm up to date. I print every morning during pretrip.

The laptop also provides mapping, and runs audiobooks (through the stereo) . It used to be my GPS as well, but I've upgraded. No, I don't watch movies or anything while driving....

The idea of this thread was to help others who might be interested, not start arguments about being lazy or such. As to IDC switching to elogs, I'd heard they'd do at the 1st of the year. It's late September and they haven't even started training yet, so I really don't see that happening.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  7. Paloma

Paloma Medium Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    I don't understand. I use Paper Logs. No Violations EVER on HOS or Form and Manner. What is so hard? It's your job as a Professional Truck Driver to update your Status as yer Status changes. As Blue pointed out, grab yer pen, ruler and log book, take the 3 seconds of yer time, to do yer job and draw the 2 lines.

I have been told by DOT in Washington State and California (Banning of all places) that my Paper Logs were "Exceptional" on Form and Manner.

If you update yer Status as you are required to do and can add 1+1 .. what is the problem?

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  8. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    2/3 rd's of the orientation class had no idea how to do paper logs, not sure how their going to do when they get an inspection. So don't plan on getting the green light in the near future

9. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    @ Paloma: that is your call sir and I will not debate it. I on the other hand have the writing of a serial killer.... :biggrin_2559:

10. Rogerthat

Rogerthat Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Sac, CA
    Paloma, do you prefer paper over Elogs? Obviously, you've done both.

11. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    I'm that driver. The log book portion has been working like a charm for me since early August. I was pulled into the Le Grand CA (Highway 99) scale for inspection in September, and the logs passed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.