Con-Way Any Freight Updates?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by lazow1md, Jul 9, 2009.

1. lazow1md

lazow1md Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Jakebrake, what's the good word out of freight?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    How's this for a terrible answer - I have no idea. I'm at a new terminal on a new run so I have nothing to compare against for where we're at right now. The stock has not been doing well but no LTL stock is since the YRC debt swap was approved - the pricing/market share wars continue I guess.

I'll say this though, this is normally the slowest time of the year and it does not seem dead to me.

The good words out of Freight are - my line-haul run for 2010 is gravy.

4. lazow1md

lazow1md Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Jakebrake, how are things going at the new terminal? Everything still looking good for you guys tonnage wise? I hear there is a lot of leased tractors and trailers at some barns, that has to be a good sign.

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    After 20 yrs. OTR and 15 yrs. union local I'm going tomorrow for my 2nd interview w/the terminal mgr? and hope to be offered a slot. Personnel supervisor seems like a straight shooter when telling me first 12-15 months can be brutal (dock,P&D, linehaul,saturdays )but I'm familiar with which direction the crap flows when your the FNG. Told me they are looking to put on 3 immed. and 5 in March so maybe the freight situation is looking up for the near future. Seems like fair start pay(18+) but a long progression to scale(5yr.) All good things end and so did my 55+K 40 hr/ wk job and we look forward to working our way toward retirement again with Con-Way.
    Drive smart everyone.
    Dennis in Mpls.

6. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Good luck. That's good he told you the way it really works - definitely true. Sounds like you know the business and should do just fine. At a big terminal like XMP, you might be lucky enough to have a split extra board so you generally work only days or nights as an FNG..lol.. The five years to top scale stinks, but once you get there it's nice. It all varies by location but I got my first P&D start time after about 1 1/2 years, and my first line-haul bid at 4 1/2 which is what I prefer to do because of the money. Been here a little over 6 years now and run night line-haul in the Mid-Atlantic.

If you get the job and have any questions I'd be glad to help.

7. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    This is typically the slowest time of the year and there is nothing slow about it right now. We're actually kinda wondering how this is gonna pan out when vacations are in full swing and we're at peak freight levels - we're already using all drivers and equipment now.

We've always leased extra long boxes but I've never seen this many especially this time of year - never seen so many rented trucks at any time. Some random stuff - we'll have fully electronic automated docks at every location by August, all pups are being fit with E-Track to maximize capacity, they changed the bonus plan and we'll actually get it now, and the new Freightliners are nice.

8. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Was offered a slot. Road,Pee,Paperwork tests on tues. w/ a start date of 3/8/10.Woot,Woot.

jakebrake12 and JustSonny Thank this.
  9. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Cool. Keep us posted. If you have any questions ask away.

10. ybr69

ybr69 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2009
    cinti,ohio
    is there anyone in here from the cincinnati area? i heard they were hiring? thank you.

11. QBall3577

QBall3577 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm surprised you guys are leasing instead of just using truckloads.

I saw a freight guy towing a CFI 53' down I80 westbound this morning out of Shelby... but I didn't see any freight longboxes in the yard when we delivered either so I guess some might be doing so.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.