Con-Way Any Freight Updates?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by lazow1md, Jul 9, 2009.

1. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Good deal. We're all running the math for our runs if we go to a 70 hour log out here on the East Coast. I would prefer to stay on the 60, but if we go to 70 there would be a lot of 100K drivers here on night line-haul. The other nice thing about it is you wouldn't have to worry about a late night getting you behind your hours for the week.

It's gonna get interesting when we hit the busy season starting over the next few weeks. Lets get ready to move some serious freight..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    The perks of a new job.
    Leaving this morning w/a set for Sacred Heart ,MN.(drop one) and head to Watertown,S.D. for a week of P&D. I here eastern South Dakota is lovely in the springtime.... lol.

PS half dozen out of hours drivers this week had to be picked up on the road. Need more drivers!

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  4. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Wow - picked up on 70 hour logs? I've learned that if I'm a little short of what I want for hours on a Friday I start later. We still run 60 so I like to make sure I have 12.5 for Friday night - my run requires 11.5 but anything less than 12.5 I'm gonna start a little late and take a 1/2 hour break on the way.

That sounds like a nice week - no traffic..lol.. I peddled Central Pa for about 3 years and that was pretty nice just rough in the winter. I know that out here, a lot of terminals are borrowing drivers from other terminals to run line-haul for a week if they have people available. The other thing they're doing is the short runs into our FAC are used to cover our outbound line-haul runs. Nice for the drivers though - what would have been a 120 mile night with 7 hours on the dock turns into a 550 mile night.

Glad you're doing well out there - keep us posted.

5. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Got home 3am Sat after catching a cushion from line haul.
    They are still training and hiring at XWE- Watertown,S.D. and decided to do a second week of P & D out west. 60-70 hrs a wk.
    With the warm spring the farmers are getting the planting season started early and creating a huge demand for seed and fertilizer in the heartland.
    Huge difference out there as you take a set to Huron,Aberdeen,Milbank etc and may hook and break 3-4 times in an afternoon as they deliver to many farm and ranches. Spring break up and rain complicates matters as you do not want to get stuck in mud "7miles south, 2 miles west" of the "oilroad" which is what they call the blacktop.
    In order to save time and work I have made deliveries to farms after getting assurance they could accomadate my set and with the freight on the rear of my front box, jacked my set to open one side for a forklift.
    Quite a site and feel to run a set of doubles 20 miles on the gravel whether it's dry or wet as it kicks up a huge dust cloud when dry and when wet I had to stop and hose the gravel from the wheels once I hit the highway as they were out of balance at speed.
    On a more tragic note a new hire on his first week of solo running was forced onto XWE line haul last week and was involved in a 2 fatality crash Thur AM. Appears he was not at fault and was not injured but tragic none the less.
    http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/article/id/110280/group/homepage/
    photo http://wcco.com/local/fatal.accident.highway.2.1664267.html
    On a lighter note it would appear I'm gaining a rep as a go to guy for sevice center and/or zone fill in as I have been asked/told that I will be living in Fosston,MN. this week and running line haul for XTR zone,Theif River Falls,MN. Not a bad check, 505 miles per night and 20-25 dock hrs. a week.
    Been gone 4 of the past 6 weeks and mama's not real happy but the money is good. Not what I hired on for but we shall see what the future holds.
    Till next time, Drive Safe and Drive Smart.

6. dr5169

dr5169 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2008
    chicago,il
    Great thread guys...and I do like the 70 hr rule....less stress...so on friday night i usually have about 19 hrs left for linehaul...

7. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Sorry to hear about the accident - it does happen and I'm glad it was not his fault in any way.

I'm surprised we are still using the 60 hour out here. At first, I was opposed to the 70 hour log but it really wouldn't change too much other than not having to worry about time. I normally don't anyway but would never have to give it a thought. I would also consider a long run since I could run 5 instead of 4 and a short.

8. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  9. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Depending on who you listen to there are different reasons for a net loss. There are some one time charges on the books leading to the 4 mill net loss..

10. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I figure to try every job in the joint before I get the whiskers to hold a bid. Being a FNG sucks. This week it's 3:30am Tues thru Sat hosteling(sp). Not my ideal job but with 197 doors it should be a piece of cake.

11. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    You'll get the full tour there's no doubt about that. I never got stuck on one of those yard horse bids but I used to do it at the re-ships I ran into from time to time. Some were easy and some were a pain just depending on how the yard is laid out and how busy the re-ship is. Clearfield, Pa was pretty easy even though there were a lot of moves because it was only 58 doors - the yard was big and it was easy to find trailers because of the lay out. Milton, Pa had less moves per yard truck with 200 doors but the yard gets congested and trailers are hard to find. At times loads would be doubled up like an mt line so I'd have to move three trailers to get the one I needed.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.