Con-way Freight in Byron, GA

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by L.B., May 17, 2013.

1. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I've been with Con-way for a month now and I am liking the work, and I am looking forward to my first non-training paycheck next week. The lest two weeks I've been working normal routes and the dock and have logging more that 50 hours each week. One thing I was not expecting was working till 8 or 9 every night getting freight loaded and closing down the dock. Other than the late hours, I think I will like it here.

Wharf Rat and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Light Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Bridgeville, DE
    You and I are on the same path. I got my first solo run this week, covering a line-haul route as the second driver to XGH. Just hope I can keep all the paysheet stuff straight and am not totally lost on the dock work. Good luck to you this week.

4. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I haven't done any line haul yet. Mostly city p&d and running sets to some of the DCs we drop at. The other guy who started the same time as me was switched over to night line haul Monday. Line haul seems like a different animal. I'd have to learn a lot of new stuff.

5. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Light Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Bridgeville, DE
    Been running good so far. Went to a different FAC last night, have tonight off and go in tomorrow @ 1900. Then one more linehaul run on Monday nite, then I'll be on city P&D for about two weeks until another linehaul driver is on vacation. I gotta tell you, I have a whole new respect for what these guys do day in and day out ( or nites). Just waiting for the day I get a little quicker hooking/breaking sets, but I am being super cautious so as to not drop a trailer...probably a good thing.

6. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    It is a lot different than what I am used to. I had a supervisor come out and talk to me about dropping trailers because I pulled out from under a trailer a little fast and the fifth wheel make a bit of a banging noise. He told me that if the frame touches the trailer they consider that a dropped trailer, or an accident. Kinda of surprised me and I explained to him that I would much rather drop a trailer lower than have to a high dropped trailer since I was used to heavier loads and had a problem with my last company with cranking down high dropped trailers. They definitely are stricter with their definition of accidents here but I haven't been rushed yet besides being called to find out what the hold up is at a customer.

I know they want you to hook and break sets fast but where I am they would rather you take a little longer than drop a trailer by rushing.

7. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Take your time..ive been on linehaul for two years and I take 25 minutes to hook a set, pre trip, unless the trailers are right next to each other. I do not rush for anything..Dont let the supervisors rush you when they hand you packets 10 mins before gate time and tell you to hurry up. When you drop a trailer its your fault.

Just make sure when you are hooking, the fifth wheel lifts the trailer up onto the fifth wheel, or the chances for a high hook become greater. Short of a mechanical failure a dropper trailer is usually driver error. And dont just listen for the click..Physically get under the trailer and visually inspect in addition to the tug test.

paul_4lp, jakebrake12 and Wharf Rat Thank this.
  8. ovee85

ovee85 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Im out of ( NNW ) Newnan,Ga and i love it no complaints here !

9. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Two months in the books here in middle ga and I still like the job. I actually have two guys under me now. Slowly working my way up the seniority ladder.

10. hotrod1018

hotrod1018 Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Niceville fl
    i am starting with them tommorrow hoping things are what they seem

11. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Cameras were installed in our trucks since Friday. Bumpy roads set these things off. A lot of grumpy unhappy drivers around here.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.