Con-Way or UPS?

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Robbman, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Robbman

Robbman Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I got an interview with both of them. I've been wanting to get on with UPS for a while, know less about Con-Way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. vhughes

vhughes Medium Load Member

Aug 13, 2012
    alabama
    If it was my choice ups. Hands down. I had worked there part time, but it was hard to get a full time job. Great benefits. But good luck on the interview I hope if works out for you there. Keep us up dated.

Robbman Thanks this.
  4. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    UPS or UPS Freight? UPS Freight Truckload or UPS LTL??

The difference between these three are pretty big, so make sure which UPS you are interviewing for.

Robbman Thanks this.
  5. Robbman

Robbman Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2011

UPS Freight.

6. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    UPS Freight, well in my own personal opinion, I would go with UPS Freight. But I am a little bias in my opinion, being a former Overnite employee and UPS Freight is Overnite. Hope the terminal that you are going to be employed at is not one of the 4 that are still non-union.

Robbman Thanks this.
  7. rocket223

rocket223 Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Harrisonville, MO
    UPS definitely. Worked at Conway for 7 months and it sucked everyday.

Robbman Thanks this.
  8. Robbman

Robbman Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Feel free to vent. What sucked about them?

9. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    UPS, just from talking w/ the drivers. Its a rough first few years on call but pays off 2-5yrs. JMO

Robbman Thanks this.
  10. rocket223

rocket223 Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Harrisonville, MO
    well they will tell you all the useless info you will never need to know over and over but fail to mention the really useful things. You will work on the dock for the first several months to a year on flexboard with a 90 minute call notice, with an occasional local delivery here and there. then you will be sent out for P&D or linehaul more often. The trucks are Complete crap, No A/C, no Radio, No power. Your handheld device batteries will probably die halfway thru the day. when you return to the terminal you work the dock if you can find a forklift. If not your production numbers go down and you are written up. 50 - 60 forklifts running like maniacs cuz everyone wants to go home, but you have to get permission to go home. Loading crazy pieces of freight properly, like pallets of 5gal chemicals, 20ft long steel bars. 10 cu yd excavator buckets. People that don't load stuff properly and you have to fix the load. I could go on and on but you get the picture. It's tons of BS, and it's stressful. why do you think they pay 55k to 80k and still hire constantly. Not saying UPS won't be similar but I know Conway is. Stick it out for a couple years and get an 8am P&D route it's not too bad.

TheDude1969 and Robbman Thank this.
  11. Robbman

Robbman Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Thanks for the info on Con-Way, UPS is still sounding better I guess. Does UPSF start drivers on the dock as well?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.