Con-Way

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by jasonbopp, Mar 25, 2013.

Con-Way (Good or Bad to work for?)

Poll closed Apr 24, 2013.
  1. *

Good

88.9%
  2. Bad

11.1%
  1. 5.56

5.56 Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2012
    INDY
    " Somewhat deceptive " ? LOL !

Their current local ads talk about driving "new state of the art trucks" .

I drove old crap , beat the hell up freight liners that didn't even have passenger seats or radios and would barely do 62 mph on flat roads .

One time on a trip to St. Louis (day time line haul) I got to drive one of the old timers new 10 speeds .

CenutryClass Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 56oval

56oval Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Hesperia ca
    hi hey i got a couple questions. i drive straight trucks but have my cdl with all endorsments. i drove for swift over the road for 4 months and $300 a week was not gonna pay the bills so i got a local job driving straight trucks and is what i do right now. i got a good driving record and good background never been arrested or anything. i applyed for conway for the fontana ca and long beach ca. does conway hire drivers like me? is it true conway starts paying $21.90 and our? i have heard a lot of good things about conway and would like to work for them. any info i would appriciated thankyou...

4. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    90 percent of drivers in cali have new freightliners, the rest have those 08 10 speed sterlings..Rest of the system might not be so lucky and only the top dogs will get a new truck.

5. RavnsFan

RavnsFan Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2013
    We have some new Freightliners but still have a ample supply of the old 7 speed Sterlings.. THey retired most of the high milage ones and the ones that are left seem to still pull ok.. But the new ones are caddillacs compared to the Sterlings

Ferlove Thanks this.
  6. Ferlove

Ferlove Bobtail Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Sin city nv
    That's for sure in a 2011 international n going to a newer truck soon. They got me highlighted to Joplin to get a newer trucker. I want the 2014 kw n ppl I talk to say it probably b a 2014 something

7. Ryan0789M

Ryan0789M Bobtail Member

Nov 25, 2013
    Cali has a lot of new trucks I assume because of their emissions. Here in St. Louis, we have about 55 freight liners, 10 sterling road units and about 15 city trucks with the smaller engine. Not mentioned a lot is conways obsession with saving fuel. Most people know we only do 61-63, depending on the truck, but that we also shift early. It's hard to climb hills in our trucks cause we are forced to shift early. There are a few hills in southern MO that I can slow down to 30 mph while others are going upwards of 40-50 depending on the weight. Our trucks also have a system that records your shifting and gives you a score from 0-100% like you are back in high school. Also recently we have cameras installed in the trucks to watch you inside the cab and to see the road in front of you. Anytime 1G of force is felt inside that camera is records and gets sent off to a company who sends it to conway if your are doing something you are not supposed to do such as on your phone, following too close, hitting object, etc. They say they only record when that 1G is triggered but the camera uploads any video it has every night around 1:30 am. To me that means it has internet access and I think Ann Harbor(HQ) can watch you anytime they feel like it. I do work for conway. Graduated their driver training program almost 3 years ago. This company gets worse each year that goes by. I'm only 24 and have 3 years in already but it takes awhile to get into a good spot. 10 years to run the same run every night. 17 years to even get on am line haul. It might work out for me in the long run. But it just seems it's getting harder and harder to keep your job at conway.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  8. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Luckily I have been off since they installed all that crap. I think I might just quit soon.. Screw that

double yellow and paul_4lp Thank this.
  9. truckerocrazy

truckerocrazy Bobtail Member

May 18, 2013
    DSR (Former Employee), –
    Pros: pay, weekends off, home daily(though only long enough to sleep)
    Cons: horrible treatment, cameras in cabs, no breaks

Long days without breaks, they call all their employes DSR's (Driver Sales Representative) do to a loophole in the labor laws that state labor laws do not apply to sales reps, if you work the dock all day and decide to take a break after 12 hours they can and WILL fire you for stealing company time!

Aside from being treated horribly this is a great place to make money if you cant find a driving job elsewhere, they start at $20hr (or $0.42mi for LH) and work you 60-70hrs a week whether you like it or not, If you work on linehaul plan on sitting on the side of the road for a few hours every Saturday morning because they WILL run you out of hours every Friday night.

They will hire people fresh out of driving school so this is a good place to get the 1-2 years driving experience that other companies require! –

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.