Concerned

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Silverbeard, Aug 25, 2019.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Who else in the office is new?

I had something similar happen once. The owner hired a new chief beancounter and the chief beancounter convinced the owner that he paid his drivers too much money. The first thing they have to do is get rid of the travel agent that's lining your pocket. Then you lose a 3rd of your money. Then they hire some idiot to be the travel agent. Your A Game crew of drivers starts falling out and they start replacing these with scum of the earth and these agree to work for a little less than half of what you guys used to run for. Stupidity increases, problems with accidents, speeding tickets, redlight cameras and Johnny Law starts leaning on you. Customers are pissed off and pull their business. The owner can no longer maintain the maintenance and he asks the impossible of your shop mechanics. They walk and they bring in scum.
    And the chief beancounter tells the owner how happy he should be because he's saving so much more money (even tho he's earning less than half what he used to..."it's not what you make, it's what you keep!")

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    This year is a bad year so far for trucking. I bet the new dispatcher is stressed because freight have slowed and everyone is pointing fingers at him. It is not his fault. But he needs to pickup his phone and talk to drivers. I am willing to bet that the new dispatcher purposefully ignore your calls because every drivers is calling him. He should understand that ignoring drivers will make things worse.

Silverbeard, MACK E-6 and JReding Thank this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    How long can the company keep paying you drivers to sit home and do nothing?

Yeah, I’d start looking for a new job.

Western flyer and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    So my question is where did all the loads go ?
    sounds like a bad rerun of the twilight zone

6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    There’s an HVAC supplier I deliver to that also shipped with us a lot.

They all of a sudden stopped using us. I’m pretty sure this is because of pricing, as they classed their shipments at 77.5 and they were always getting reclassed to 125. I don’t know what line of work we’re talking about here, but the LTL business is very competitive.

The other possibility is dispatcher incompetence. There was days I’d go there for a pickup only to hear about the skid or two they had sitting there for 2 days that I haven’t heard a peep about. It was to the point where I was ready to give them my phone number and eliminate the middle idiot, but the shipments stopped too soon.

7. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    If your prior dispatcher was so good to you all and took care of you maybe he was doing that for the company’s U-Haul for two maybe another company picked him up knowing he was the key .

Silverbeard and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  8. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Hint,hint,
    All 5 of you guys sitting at home with no loads,
    New dispatcher won't talk to any of you.
    You've been replaced by someone else,
    Who's cheaper.
    There just waiting for you guys to quit.

I wouldn't count on that minimum check for
    more than 1 more week.
    It's called starving them out.
    If you finally do get too talk to someone,
    There just gonna say things are slow.

Start looking for another job before they stop
    Cutting those checks.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    If your old dispatcher was that good, he more than likely took a bunch of the business with him to wherever he's working now. Happens all of the time. It may put your current company out of business if they are poorly managed, which it sounds like.

Figure that your company won't be able to pay you a minimum salary for sitting around if there is no work coming in. Better start looking for work now while you have some time off. See if you can find where the dispatcher went and give him a call. Maybe he can put in a good word for you.

FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. Silverbeard

Silverbeard Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    I agree 100%

11. Silverbeard

Silverbeard Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2017
    Houston TX
    That is my concern. Somebody a little higher up is going to sign over 6000.00 in minimum pay checks next week but they're not going to see the corresponding revenue.

Bakerman and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.