concrete agitator

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by fishingaz, Jan 22, 2012.

1. fishingaz

fishingaz Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2012
    mooloolaba queensland
    hi all and thanks for an informative site.
    i have been in the transport industry all my working life.for the last 27 years as a tanker driver .and before that general. local and up and down the highway.
    now 18 months ago i was made redundant and i thought id just float along and semi retire .but now iv had enough of sitting around and have decided to buy an agitator here on the sunshine coast.
    i have knocked on the door of two companys and already found a few for sale.
    now if anyone has any info good or bad .could you please let me know before i take the plunge.
    things like contracts to look for.?
    is it best to own the barrel or let company own that?
    as i said any info that you have is more than i do at this time.
    thanks for reading .
    gary.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Winston99

Winston99 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2015
    I know this was asked years ago, but I thought Id reply in case someone else stumbles on this thread.

Agitators are sought after and being a subbie may not be the best way to get into the industry. There is a lot of waiting and sitting around. If its raining you wont be working. If youre paid at per job or per tonne, Im not sure how, you would be sitting around with no pay and your truck could be using fuel rotating the barrel.

Most companies will only sell the cab chasis and keep the body, otherwise you could take the truck and start your own company, so I would presume that you would only own the cab chasis.

Being semi-retired, you would be better off taking on coach runs. Driving tourists to Brisbane or on adventure day tours around the gold coast. I know some semi-retired drivers that do the snow fields once a year and that keeps them going.

Anyone thinking of buying a truck should be very careful, pay records can be manipulated, contracts can be hard to follow and if you are sick or injured, you may have to pay for a driver to fill your spot until you return. Rego, fuel, tyres, maintenance, etc, these are high costs and can be your downfall. You also rely on admin to make sure you have enough customers to keep you in business.

Hope this helps someone.

Pullin2 Thanks this.
  4. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    I agree. Concrete and waste haul outfits pretty much all over the free world usually only sell the chassis. If the body is really REALLY worn out, you may get it on a chassis, other then that, they'll recycle the body to a newer chassis, or if it has some life in it, but they don't need it, they'll cut it up. A lot of 'special' equipment goes that way, to curb competition. Another example is armored cars.

I have pictures somewhere of an old Canadian Loomis Armored car ( 7 ton ) that hit a moose. Cab was pretty much done, but the frame and body were good. The pictures are of an excavator with a giant cutter claw chewing it up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.