Confused

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by HoneyBadger67, Mar 30, 2019.

1. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN
    Having only recently started working on my own class 8's, I'm learning all sorts of new things. The most recent new thing seems to be that Kenworth doesn't use transmission mounts? I keep hearing a sort of "thunk" under the cab and I thought it might be a loose mount but there wasn't anything there when I rolled underneath.... I've worked on cars for most of my life and there's always a support under the trans so...am I missing something or is there not supposed to be one there?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tombstone69

Tombstone69 Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Jersey shore
    Yeah, Pete's the same.I was a little surprised myself, I'm thinking along the lines of less machining of parts and allowing the suspension to take up the slack. If you're talking about a crossmember under the trans, big truck trans have always been supported on the sides with rubber bushings between the mounts. What's missing now are the bushings, that's what I'm talking about.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Nope. No mount.

At the most there may be a spring mounted bar across the frame at the rear top.

In the past there have been rear engine/trans mounts located on the transmission flywheel housing instead of the engine housing. Anyone who has done a clutch job on one of these is grateful the industry doesnt do that anymore. PITA.

But never a mount on the rear.

Dino soar and HoneyBadger67 Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Western Stars do that a lot. Its definitely a PITA to do a clutch. Having to support the rear of the engine.

6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yea my Freightliner doesn’t have one either.
    The only mounts are on the flywheel housing and they support both the rear of the engine and the front of transmission with nothing in the rear on the trans.

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I remember a Mack and a Sterling too. I know you'll never flat rate a clutch job after doing one. Customer is always bent on how much longer the job takes. No easy way about it.

8. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    International used a "leaf spring" across the top of the rear part of the transmission,to give a little extra support,besides all the bolts at the bellhousing.

Oh,and 55-57 Chevys had no support under their transmissions. Probably lots of other old cars,too.

9. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Kenworth does that too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.