Congratulations and welcome to the Stevens Transport family.

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by emm86, Nov 18, 2014.

1. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

There are, of course, all kind of reasons why a new driver would "suffer financially." Poor use of his pay, big expenses back home, over-reliance on those pesky $100 withdrawals, eating too much and too often at expensive truck stops... It's not always only about the lower cpm paid by one company or higher by another. The fact is, getting used to life OTR is tough and requires a significant adjustment to ones entire lifestyle.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    fieldchaser and Corporal_Clegg Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. conjuntoron

conjuntoron Bobtail Member

May 29, 2014
    Pasadena, Tx
    emm86 I must say, Stevens DOES have maybe the best training program. They actually make sure you know what you're doing. I went through it, just passed my first 90 days solo. I like the company as a whole. They will take care of their employees and they're pretty prompt on getting your truck repaired when needed. Just make sure you communicate well with everyone - dispatchers, safety dept., your DM, and Road Rescue dept. - keep everyone in the know and you'll be ok.
    It's been a hell of a ride these past 90 days and I've enjoyed it all so far. Be safe out there.

pasmurf, mattbh23, Emulsified and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    ^^^^ That is so very true. Very well said!!!

5. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    Its funny how people say ya can make more at mcdonalds. Well i work at chillis and the pay isnt bad, BUT ! Im not getting but 25-30 hrs a week. so 10.75 x 30 = 325 before tax. So that 400 a week to train is still more than I make now. So I should be ok. Plus ive learned alot about spending money on food and what not. I dont like eating out much anyway, after working in food service the last 15 years I hate most everything. Ill just cook in the truck. I dont need alot to be happy, as long as i have my laptop and sat radio Ill be fine.

6. Floorguy1

Floorguy1 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Duluth MN
    Halvor lines don't have a reffer division. But the sister does. Sue Vinge. They run nice equipment and good people. Plenty miles all you want. I'm no recruiter lol

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. cableguy66

cableguy66 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Lock Haven, Pa
    I was watching Stevens video on their website and says one of the best paying, and how they give you more miles, but $40,000.00 is really low for running more miles. Not sure how they're figuring that one out?? Video said about insurance, but it wasn't clear on whether after 90 days, if the insurance company paid or not? If so, then I guess $40,000.00 isn't bad ... LOL ... I do really like their trucks and would like to drive for them, but the amount of pay is stopping me unless insurance is company paid. Anyone know what drivers are averaging while doing the lease purchase? How long they pay and is there a balloon payment?

8. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Stevens lease is NOT a lease purchase, so theres no balloon payment. You will never own the truck. They do have a purchase plan but you have to be there a while and put about 6K down.

cableguy66 Thanks this.
  9. drake3d

drake3d Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Fountain, Colorado
    Hmm, well I am just finishing up my 3 months on grad fleet and I make around 750 - 800 a week(40k roughly). In 3 weeks I will go to .30 cpm(my 6 month in is on the 23rd)so that will go up a little, actually back to where is was when I left. Note this is my 2nd time around with Stevens, my original hire date was 12/23/12, I left for 9 months so I had to start over. So I have a little bit of experience on navigating the loads, for whatever that's worth. I run and don't sit around, went to the yard to drop and early load today and was back out within 2 hours some people will stay for the extended weekend then complain they can't make money.
    If you run and show you will take some crappy loads if needed you can indeed make 40k +. As for insurance not company paid, for me and my wife I think it is around 110 a week for everything. just remember this is a starting company and 40k is not bad. I worked retail(management) for 25 years and barely made that. Give it a year or two then take what you learned and run with it, as long as you have a clean record and are willing to work you can have your pick of companies who will take you.
    As for lease or purchase wait a year or two to get a feel and understanding of trucking. Then buy or lease from the best value you can get and lease to a company that will get you the loads or become your own authority just realize it is a very regulated industry and there is a lot of paperwork and taxes involved.
    Good luck wherever you go and be safe out there.

cableguy66 and Night Prowler Thank this.
  10. cableguy66

cableguy66 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Lock Haven, Pa
    Yeah, I forgot, they go thru Alliance for lease purchase ... Sorry, but I think $40k is low from what I'm used to, that's why I'd prefer to get my own truck if I went to a company like this. So I doubt this outfit would be a choice now :( .... I drove for Mast Trucking from Nov 2013 to May 2014, was out Sunday morning/early afternoon and home Friday anywhere between noon and 8pm, and I was averaging $900 a week after taxes and insurance. Nice thing is for me only, my medical was only $19 a week, dental and vision for me and wife was about $40 a week (she's disabled so didn't get her medical) and Aflac supplemental insurance ($2500.00 a month for 6 months if I got injured paid from day 1) was $6.66 a week.... so it was nice, but I left to work for a buddy of mine in ND doing oil well work, only reason I did was because he said he'd help me get a truck, but never did, so came back Thanksgiving. I got 3 companies I filled apps out for wanting me but as company driver. They range from 38-43 cents a mile, but really didn't want to do reefer again, would rather pull flatbed.... but thanks everyone for the info :)

11. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

With a reality attitude like that, you are far along the path to success. Many don't start with your sense of reality. Well done.

Night Prowler Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.