Connex 3300HP vs. Stryker SR-497HPC

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by WitchingHour, Apr 6, 2015.

1. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    So I was recently gifted a Stryker SR-497HP. I already own a Connex 3300HP. Due to the limited space in my service truck, I keep a small Cherokee CM-10 in there. So, as is, I really don't need two full-sized radios.
    I don't really know anything about the Stryker radios, so could somebody provide some insight, perhaps compare and contrast the two? I'm thinking of selling one, but I'm not sure which one is more of a keeper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    Stryker 497hpc and the connex 3300hp have the same basic features, echo, talkback, 10k switch, stryker has 8 bands of channels, connex has 6 bands. Stryker has 2 roger beep settings, if your into that, connex has none.

Stryker 497hpc has 4-irf520 mosfet finals for 100+ watts pep
    Connex 3300hp has 2-irf520 mosfet finals for 50+ watts pep

Stryker is microprocessor controled and uses some smt parts, makeing it more difficult to diagnose and work on. Some techs won't touch smt parts.
    Connex is pll controled, like most cb/export radios, uses basic components. Easy to diagnose and work on.

Stryker has a noisy reciever while mobile. Noise blanker really doesn't do much. But the radio still has a decent recieve range.
    Connex's recieve is much quieter. It seems to have more filtering and better adjacent channel rejection, and still has great recieve range. Great ears on the connex.

Stryker has some of the loudest, cleanest audio I've ever heard on an export. Great sounding digital echo board, and probably the clearest talkback you'll ever hear.
    Connex are loud and clear, great sounding echo, but the talkback is usually muffled.

I've never had a 497hpc, but I've been running a 447hpc off and on for the psst couple years. I would assume, other than the output difference, they would perform the same. Its held up well so far with no problems, still works as well as the day I put it in. Ive also ran a connex 3300hp for a short time, it was also a great reliable radio, no problems. They're both great radios. Imo the stryker wins hands down on audio performance, while the connex has the edge on the recieve side. The stryker will most likely fetch more cash, but everybody is running a connex or galaxy. Plus, the styker has all those twinkeling little lights! Lol. I wouldn't trade my stryker for a connex, but that's just me.

maninthemoon1, tucker and WitchingHour Thank this.
  4. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Awesome post! Thanks a lot!
    I bought the Connex in 03, and I s'pose I might be a little bit attached to it. Had Stomper down in Duncan (SC) set it up for me... if they're easier to work on, that would certainly appeal to me, since the only CB shop I know of in this area is across from the TA on Quebec St. (I stay in town and work seven days a week, so making the trip up to Johnson's Corner really isn't feasible for me). Perhaps I'll try the Stryker out for a bit, and see how I like it. Or maybe I'll end up with a CB for every day of the week. Who knows?
    022.jpg

Bout Z and tucker Thank this.
  5. mntrucker

mntrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    How old is the 497?

6. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Not sure. I'll try to find a customer service number and see if they can determine it by serial number.

7. mntrucker

mntrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    The number on their website is 910-221-1086, try them.

8. maninthemoon1

maninthemoon1 Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Garrison ky
    I Bought a SR497 from Dubs in Marshall IL , July 2011 , been using it since , there is just one radio I'd be just as proud to run and it's the Connex 3300 hp. I love the way it sounds. However I would not trade my 497 for anything , Terry at Dubs in Marshall doesn't sell it anymore but told me he'll always service the ones he's sold. He installed a swing kit in it when I bought it , and promised me the best CB experience I've ever had. It indeed is , however the swing kit went bad about 4 months ago , ran it back to him and have again gotten praise from everybody I talk to , he also talked me into the Monkey made when I bought it , and proved recently to me that it sounds 30 to 40% better with the road king vs the Actasic.
    I've talked to a neighbor of mine here in Garrison Ky from Buckeye AZ but could not hear him , he told me a couple weeks later when I got home he heard me calling him. I've had conversations with Diesel Dr Effingham from Miami , Co. and TX. I've held 15 to 20 minutes of Conversation with Base stations several times in running down an interstate , 15 to 20 miles. Was talking one night to Gator my neighbor in Ky from Lucasville OH , this is the foot hills area to the Appalachians , 26 miles ofrolling hills between us , and once had a 10 min conversation with Bluegrass a base in Ky HTS KY , from Tucumcari NM . No kicker no boosters , barefoot and getting every bit of the 469.00 spent just for the radio. I've spoken on 26 , 28 , 11 , and 6 to guys from 2 to 8 states away. Not always , because of the atmospheric conditions , but when they're right I'm skipping . The Connex would be my #2 radio and if I had both there's no way I depart with either. There ya go

9. The Gryphon

The Gryphon Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    How much you want for the Stryker?

10. Lynzee

Lynzee Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Look at your serial number the first two numbers are the year it was manufactured. Mines an 06

WitchingHour Thanks this.
  11. WitchingHour

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Thanks for this. I'd completely forgotten about this thread, and to follow through with customer service. The sticker on the back of mine says "S062990", so it appears my Stryker is an 06, as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.