Consequences for First HOS Violation

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bobcat13, May 13, 2019.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Actually with the new PC rules, being loaded or not has no bearing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Falcone

Mark Falcone Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    Now your wrong because if your not loaded you go to the nearest rest stop to safely park. He tried the TA and it was full no parking so he went 500 feet across the street. Its not like he drove 5 miles. If he was empty it was perfectly legal what he did. He's not laden, he's using the truck as his personal vehicle at that point. He's not under dispatch

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    So what's your solution in this situation?

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Show me where the PC rules state that?
    Here's the website,: Personal Conveyance

spyder7723, Bean Jr. and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  6. Mark Falcone

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    My solution as a company driver like he is, is to make my move in personal conveyance call my logs person and explain why I did it and have him or her note the #### out of the comment section. The guys back was against the wall. He had to park somewhere. He couldn't keep driving around in circles.

7. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Again, laden or unladen doesn't matter under the latest guidance. Yes, a driver may drive to the nearest safe place to park using PC if running out of hours at a customer.

In this case he wasn't at a customer, but at a truck stop. There is no specific guidance in this instance, but I would be comfortable making the case that he is seeking safe parking after being forced to leave (truckstop full), and can therefore use PC.

8. Mark Falcone

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    Bro sometimes it isn't all about the rules. Sometimes "Real Life" can't accomodate the rules. What was the guy suppose to do keep driving around like a merry go round? The "Rules" are the reason why there was no parking spot in the truck stop for the poor guy to park. You one of us or what??? You sound like Smokey Bear not like one of my truck driving brothers!!!

rabbiporkchop and cjb logistics Thank this.
  9. Mark Falcone

Jun 15, 2013
    Bronx, NY
    Exactly you get it now? The guys hands were tied. He had to do what he had to do.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  10. DenBob

DenBob Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Consequences will likely be somewhere between nothing and a tap on the wrist. I have had a half dozen or so such violations a year at two companies over the past 5-6 years. If anyone has noticed they've never made a peep until this spring...now there's a piece of paper in my mailbox for any log violation..I sign it...don't know who it goes to, no conversation.
    More often than not is from a 30 minute break not registering as such on the peoplenet system. I see have seen it happen after a break...do I take another 30 minute break when this happens ? Nope. I took one already.
    I get stressed and agitated over a lot of things...E-logs is not one of them.
    Company I'm at now, they even told me at orientation...if you're out of hours close to a delivery or other destination, just keep going.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Doesn't matter if he drove 55 miles. He wanted a safe place to shut down.

Sometimes it can be pretty tough.

And parked along side the interstate or a ramp, does not constitute safe in my book.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.