Considering a career with Stevens

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by Laith, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Laith

Laith Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Hello everyone,

I'm considering a career with Stevens. I'm retired Air Force, I was assigned to transportation/logistics units. I drove flatbeds/box my first 8 years and the last 14 years I was driving a desk. I figured I would be a bit rusty so I went ahead and earned my CDL this past January.

My question is, would Stevens put me directly in O1 upon hire or would I have to complete some refresher training before hitting the open road?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Thats a tough question and not something anyone here could say with certainty. Ask your recruiter, and then call and speak to the Training director and get it in writting !!!!

Laith Thanks this.
  4. jdtrvlr

jdtrvlr Bobtail Member

Mar 27, 2013
    My brother is currently driving for construction company and Stevens recruiter said "every body goes thru 01".

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I think the question is if you will be required to go thru a 'refresher' course, which is a CDL course without the DMV part.
    The first question is: Do you have a current CDL?
    If you do, how long since you've been driving?
    If you have a current CDL and can demonstrate the same minmum driving skills a candidate is reqired to have, then you may be able to go directly into O1.
    This is one to discuss with the recruiter.
    There are some that can do it, but most are required to go thru a 'refresher' course. If required, it is likely covered under your military benefits.

Laith Thanks this.
  6. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    If your CDL is only two months old I don't think a refresher course would be required. As others have said speak to a recruiter but I am pretty sure you will go to OR1 and the skills evaluation will determine if you are ready to he sent out with a trainer.

Laith Thanks this.
  7. Laith

Laith Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Virginia
    I've had my CDL since mid January, but I haven't done any driving since. Fortunately the school I graduated from allows previous students to go back and log some driving hours. So I'm sure I can demonstrate the minimum. I've been driving for many years in the military, we don't bump docks nearly as much as commercial drivers do so backing into those types of situations I need to practice on.

I don't mind going thru a refresher course as long as it's not overly pricey.

I will discuss with a recruiter.

Thank you Emulsified

8. Laith

Laith Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Virginia
    Another factor is I'm relocating from Virginia to Colorado in April so my CDL will be 3 months old by time I get to Co Springs and hopefully get hired on. I will speak with a recruiter.

Thank you KMac

KMac Thanks this.
  9. maverick0217

maverick0217 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2013
    Dallas, Texas
    Laith Thanks this.
  10. whitelightening

whitelightening Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2013
    I leave for stevens Saturday one oclock any help would be nice I already have my cdl I just graduated just trying to see how stevens is thank

11. Hajiwolf

Hajiwolf Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Hello I am considering joining up with Stevens. I have heard both good things and bad things I know it is like that with all companies. What I am trying to figure out is what route should I go lease ( How much fuel and maintance comes out of my pocket) or should I just be company driver. Can you take the truck home ? I understand and it would make sense that you have to repay the trip to dallas and hotel back but do we really need to pay to get a Texas CDL when I got a NC one? any info and help would be great thanks. I am glade that they have the military apprenticeship program.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.