Considering CDL schoolin Columus Ohio

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Zappafan, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Nick Strimbu Inc. in Brookfield will hire you when you graduate and has tuition reimbursement. They're Teamsters also.
    Roadmaster will really push hard for you to go with Werner, since Werner owns the school.
    I can give you names of probably 2 dozen companies that will hire you from about any cdl school that's 160 hours.

jraulpilot1998, Dan.S and Zappafan Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jobs are still available. Some companies go back for a specific number of years on DUI's.
    Some are "None in a lifetime" or "No more than one in a life time" or "None within the last 2 years", etc.

Zappafan Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What about Tri-State Semi Driver Training /Tri-State Technical School, Columbus, OH 43221
    160 Driving Academy, 923 E Broad St
    Are these two still in operation? All you need is a cheap 160 hour course.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Here's just a few companies, that hire new cdl grads, you can consider; there's plenty more though. They all hire new cdl grads, so if you see "experience required" on the websites, ignore that.
    Transport America
    Freymiller - www.drive4freymiller.com
    Nick Strimbu Inc. (Teamsters)
    PI&I Motor Express (Teamsters)
    Panther Premium Logistics (cargo vans & box trucks for new grads)
    Britton Transport
    Butler Transport
    Magnum Ltd.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Zappafan Thanks this.
  5. Zappafan

Zappafan Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thanks a ton!!!
    Tri state has changerd their name it looks like. and theyre in Dayton, but 160 is here in Columbus.
    I take it thats considered a better school than Roadmaster?
    I would not be opposed to going out of state for the school, but I am limited on funds, so if I had to pay for a hotel for a month or so, that would probably be out of the question.
    I know Swift will pay for you to get to their school, do any of these places provide lodging?
    Again, thanx a million for your help :)

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Those companies I listed are for after graduation from cdl school. They all hire from private cdl schools such as 160 or Roadmaster or community college, etc. I thought you posted you don't want a trucking company school because of the obligation to work there for "X" amount of time.
    You'd be better off going to 160 in Columbus if you can.
    The trucking companies that offer cdl school also pay for meals & lodging during their cdl classroom training. They also provide transportation from Columbus to their school.
    Here's a few:
    Millis Transfer - Trenton,OH - runs eastern half of USA. 12 mos. commitment.
    CRST - 10 month commitment - they have a dedicated Caterpillar account that runs from Ohio to California, from what another Ohio driver posted. Team operation.
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com - coast to coast trucking. 12 mos. commitment. Hair follicle drug test.
    Dutch Maid Logistics - Willard,OH - don't know the details.
    Roehl Transport - actually pays you $500.00 weekly while in their cdl school. Hair follicle drug test.
    Carter Express - school in Indianapolis.
    Stevens Transport - several school scattered around. Stevens send their students to private schools.
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) - uses private schools.
    I think they're all 12 mos. obligation except CRST which is 10 mos.

Zappafan Thanks this.
  7. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I am not pushing Swift, but they now have a Swift Academy at the terminal on Phillipi Rd just south of Fisher Rd.

@Zappafan

Zappafan Thanks this.
  8. Zappafan

Zappafan Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    So the costs for the three here in Columbus
    Swift: 3900
    160 driving academy: "Roughly 4000"
    Roadmaster 6995
    Anyone with experience care to rank these schools? Is Roadmaster just jacking the price up?
    Thanks for any info!

9. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    Don't forget the hotel cost Swift adds. I believe it is/was $750.00

Zappafan Thanks this.
  10. Zappafan

Zappafan Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Well, I live in Columbus so I would be commuting.

doninwooster Thanks this.
  11. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    For what I've heard in conversations, Roadmasters has a good Program. Remember this; It is Not the School that you go To, or the program you Take on. It is about the Instructors that take you Thru the program. It is about how well they determine what kind of student are you. There are different Teaching alternatives for each student. Every student is different. Your Instructor needs to recognize what Teaching Technic to use with every single student in order to succeed in transfering that knowledge to you. It is about how well you as a student assimilate the program and Learn from it. It is about your ability to learn to Operate and control heavy equipment. "18 wheelers" are Fun to drive but with that come great responsability. Tractor Trailer Operator is considered One of....if Not the most dangerous profession in our Nation and around the World. So learning how to drive, learning about weight and balance, learning about all the Forces that Act upon that vehicle (weight, Inertia and so On), weather conditions, human conditions while in movement, REGULATIONS, REGULATIONS, REGULATIONS, LAWS, LAWS, LAWS, RULES, RULES, RULES, are All included in the Equation. Final thought.....Remember when you do get the License and start driving.....THAT'S WHEN THE REAL LEARNING PROCESS BEGINS..!!!! Good Luck...!!! HAPPY TRAILS..!!!

Zappafan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.